[pct-l] Super Secrets - Water

I know everyone is aware of how  important water is on the trail.  But let me
give you a few  suggestions and ideas.
1.  Carry the heavy water in  the lightest containers.  Platypus water
containers is an example of these  containers.  Store bought water bottles and
Gatorade bottles are other  examples of light weight containers.
2.  If possible distribute  your carrying capacity over your body.  Do not
put HEAVY water weight on  one set of muscles or area of your body.  For
example, carrying some  containers low on the side of your pack pockets and a water
bladder inside the  main pack with an outlet tube.  You now have your waist
area taking some  weight and your back/shoulder area too.  I like to carry a
belly/waist pack  with two bottle holders for this reason.  I have water on the
pack and on  the belly pack.
3.  The darker your urine, the  more dehydrated you are.  Try to drink so
that your urine is light or  nearly clear.  If you do this you will get
Switchback's gold star  for outstanding water management.
4.  Just like protein,  carbohydrates, fat, vitamins, and minerals, water is
an essential body  nutrient.
5.  A lack of water leads to  muscle cramps, fatigue, dry skin, headaches,
and constipation.  A lack of  water can lead to false hunger signals and cause
you to eat when what you really  need is water.
6.  Do not rely on thirst as  an indicator of water needs.  It is a delayed
reaction and does not kick in  until your levels are already low.
7.  Consume one quart/liter of  water for every 50 pounds of body weight per
day.  If you weigh 150 pounds  you should drink 3 quarts per day WITHOUT ANY
SERIOUS PHYSICAL ACTIVITY!   Just think what this means for a hiker.
8.  Milk, juices, and sports  drinks are okay, but water is by far the best.
9.  As with anything else, do  not over do the water intake.  You can wash
out your body chemistry.   You must use water in conjunction with snacks with
salt and minerals to keep  things balanced as you bounce along the trail.  A few
bites on a trail  bar/GORP would be fine with your water pit stop.
10.  Of course, avoid alcohol  and caffeine.  They increase unnecessary
urination and fluid  loss.
11.  A good method for your  daily water intake is determine for your weight
how much water you should drink  per day.  Put a container at home and one at
work to equal how much water  you want to drink each day.  Each day you just
check the containers to see  how you did.  Simple.
12.  I like to use Smart Water  at Wild Oats, Whole Foods, Traders Joe, and
some grocery stores.  In my  water caches, I usually hide Smart Water bottles.
Neat.  Smart Water  has some electrolytes in it.
13.  Water makes up about 60%  of the average man's weight and 55% for the
average woman.  Think about  that.  That is a lot of water to maintain!  It
allows the  body to cool itself, lubricate muscles and joints, brings oxygen to
the cells,  and moves wastes out of the body.
14.  My breakfast regime on  the trail is usually a liquid shake, like
Nature's Plus Spiru-Tein  strawberry with a Lara Bar or similar trail bar.  During
the day I like  Gookinaid Hydralyte drinks and plain water with my snacks.

Anyway, sorry for the long post,  but this is so important.  Critical.  Life
and death, etc.,  etc.

Your hiking buddy,  Switchback
007 Trail Scoundrel & Camp  Sponge