[pct-l] Hitching

A great book about hitchhiking travel is

ONE FOR THE ROAD by Tony Horwitz. He hitchhiked
through Australlia back in the late 1980s. Wonederful
book. It is in parts funny, heartfelt, insightful. If
you get a chance, I suggest

When Horwitz hitched through Australlia he partially
used some of the techniques Yogi mentioned.

I don't see it as dishonest.  Some people, esp. a
writer, want to meet people in addition to the
traveling. The talking *IS* part of the journey for
many others,

In days gone, a traveling bard would pay for his
lodging/food/whatever by telling a tale. People who
would never see the distant lands would be able to let
their imaginations go to places that they would never
visit.

In the same way, people traveling on the great trails
have a story to tell. Many people enjoy hearing the
stories. A lift to a town 5 miles down the road is not
a problem.

It is all how you approach the person. If you approach
aperson just for a ride..well, frankly they will see
right though you. If you chat a person up in the old
tradition, it is beneficial for both. A tale to tell
for them, a tale they can tell others. A twenty minute
ride to the town.

Other peope may have more cynical views. I see it as
part of a tradtion that should be kept alive.

--Thoreau
http://www.magnanti.com