[pct-l] hitching out of towns

In a message dated 2/23/2006 9:03:08 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
PCT@DelNorteResort.Com writes:

> [...]
interested in folks that you meet, as opposed to walking  around with the
schmooze on pandering for a freebie.

Hopefully, not  all hikers employ Yogi's technique. Even us dumb 'ol
backcountry folks will  see right through it. This is *not* the type of
impression you want to  leave on the communities visit.>>>>>

Your prejudices are protruding, Scott.  Yogi does not suggest being  false,
pandering, immoral or indecent.  ( an exaggeration for the sake of  emphasis,
for those who, like me, often can't get the emotion from the words  )  Hanging
out where people might take an interest because they see more  than a thumb
dangling in the wind is not dishonest... it is prudent.

Being a grizzled old man who probably looks somewhere between St. Nick and
Charles Manson, I understand that once people get a chance to learn what a
cheerful, kind, courteous, brave, thrifty, reverent, and obedient scout I am,
they will be more inclined to give a lift.

Suggesting that trying to secure a ride by means other than sheer
happenstance, good luck, ride bride, and the myriad variables that face a  hitchhiker,
is disingenuous at the very least.

"No Way Ray"  Echols