[pct-l] hitching out of towns

There is an art to getting FROM a trail town back TO
the trail.  It begins the very moment you arrive in
that trail town.  BE NICE.  Say please and thank you.
Tip big at restaurants and bars.  That means 20-25% of
your bill.  It's usually only $1-$2 more than a 15%
tip, and it builds karma.  More importantly,
restaurant servers and bartenders know a lot of
people, especially in small towns.  You treat them
well, and they'll spread the word that hikers are good
people.

Talk to the locals.  Smile and say hello when you pass
people on the street and in the stores.  If you have
the opportunity to strike up a conversation, DO IT.
Talk about the trail.  Talk about how you needed to
come into town to resupply and get cleaned up.  Follow
that with something like "we're not sure how we'll get
back to the trail tomorrow.  It's only 10 miles by
car, but we don't have a car."  By phrasing things
this way, you give the other person the opportunity to
help you, to do something nice.  They like that.  I've
found that people are much more "willing" to drive me
to the trail when it's THEIR idea, rather than when I
blatantly ask for a ride.  (but, of course, that was
my plan all along).

yogi

www.pcthandbook.com