[pct-l] Ticks: Permethrin

>> hiked 26 miles through tick area this weekend and went crazy flicking off
> ticks after using 100% deet on ankles (under long pants in spite of the
warm
> days) and all exposed areas.

I've had really good luck (knock on wood) avoiding tick trouble by spraying
the tops of all socks carried, the bottoms and seat of our long pants, the
seat of our shorts, and the lower periphery of the tent or tarptent with
permethrin just before our hikes. Then, once a month at a town stop,
re-applying the permethrin. It lasts through several washings, allegedly.
So far so good.  Maybe this season will be the supreme test.

Also, at Benchmark on the CDT, we shared an evening with 3 hikers who had
just done 300 miles which we had also just finished.  They complained of
ticks on them a lot.  Puzzled me.  We had not had a single one in the same
terrain. Then I realized they slept under a floorless tarp, while we were in
a closed tent (sprayed with permethrin).

Dr Bob

(We