[pct-l] Sleeping Bags

As most of you who follow my occasionally almost topical
contributions to this list already know, the recent flooding of my
basement and consequent desecration of my old red and blue Sierra
Designs down sleeping bags rekindled my interest in this old gear.
Since then I have taken action to salvage them to the extent
possible.  Since my wife raided our joint bank account to purchase
the biggest, meanest, nastiest, top-of-the-line front loading washer
and dryer available for household use, I decided to use them for this
task rather than go to a laundry and use a commercial machine.  I
purchased about $11.00 worth of Nikwax down laundry soap to use for
this project. The instructions on the bottle were a little vague, so
I decided to use 1/2 of the bottle for each sleeping bag.  That way,
I wouldn't have a useless dab of detergent to carry with me for years
to come.  Before washing the bags I scoured the back yard and found
four tennis balls our dogs play with.  I knew that you're supposed to
put the tennis balls in the dryer with the sleeping bags to prevent
insidious down clumping, but I wasn't sure if I was to put them in
the washer, too.  Since the tennis balls were muddy and covered with
dog slobber, I decided to wash them with the bag.  I washed the blue
bag first, then put the bag and balls in the dryer on a low setting.
I stopped the dryer every 15 minutes or so to shake out the bag to
rid it of clumps, but I got the uneasy feeling that this was a waste
of time.  The drying process went on forever and when I finally took
the bag out it was still damp.  I spread it out over some cardboard
boxes with a space heater, fan and dehumidifier (all left over from
flood remediation) until it was dry.  I noticed that a little down
had leaked from the bag into the dryer. I examined the bag, found a
small hole and mended it with duct tape.

I examined the red bag for leaks, found none and repeated the
cleaning and drying process.  I noticed that the red bag came out of
the washer much dryer than had the blue bag.  I concluded that I
probably neglected to push the special "max extract" button for the
blue bag.  The red bag dried pretty much completely in the dyer, but
left behind a lot of leaked down.  I decided to clean this up with my
new high powered wet-dry shop vac (the one from Home Despot powered
by a fuel injected Chevy V8).  Unfortunately, I am still not
completely familiar with this piece of equipment so I hooked up the
hose backward and blew goose feathers all over the basement, much to
the amusement of my son's cat, Fish.   It turned out that the red bag
had a rather substantial hole on the inside near the foot.  The red
bag is still useable, perhaps, but some of the interior baffles
appear to be down free, so I expect it will have some cold spots.

The blue bag, however, looks new.  I spread it out on the floor next
to my nearly new TNF Squall Polarguard 3D bag I bought steeply
discounted from REI.  I have concluded that the TNF bag's 20 degree
rating is wildly optimistic.  What they mean is that, at 20 degrees
F., you can survive in this bag, without losing any of your
extremities to frostbite, just long enough to become discouraged,
leap out of the bag and set the nearest snag afire to stay warm.  But
I digress.  Side-by-side, the 30-year-old down bag, the bag I used
every single day in the entire spring and summer of 1976 while
vagabonding across Europe and on many shorter trips before and since,
the bag that had been stored in its stuff sack for decades,
definitely had more loft than the synthetic TNF bag.  I crawled into
each bag for a comparison test.  The old down bag was clearly warmer
and slightly more capacious.  Ah, I thought, but the old down bag
will take up more room in my pack and will be heavier.  I tried
stuffing the old bag into the new bag's compression sack. It fit just
fine and, although I haven't weighed the two bags, it doesn't feel
any heavier.

Bottom line: until I decide to buy one of those $400 wonder bags, I
think I'm going to go back to my ancient Sierra Designs prime
northern white goose down bag for my backpacking slumber.