[pct-l] Sundown, Yellow Moon

Sun, glorious sun! Hail Lord Frith! The sun shines in the northwest!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wayne Kraft <wayneskraft@comcast.net> wrote:  As I emerged this evening from the undistinguished office building in
which I daily labor, I was stopped dead in my tracks. There, off to
the east, towering over the ill-considered suburban landscape, was
Mt. Hood. I do not know what the setting sun (that rogue, that
scalliwag setting sun) had said or done to make her blush, but she
was pulsing peppermint pink, radiantly aglow, basking in his
attentions after so many weeks of gloomy neglect. Hanging directly
above her summit at nine o'clock high, a nearly full moon waxed
gibbous against the ice blue sky. A cool east wind blew directly off
her glaciated slopes and seemed to call out to me, "Lean into me.
Follow me home." Why can't I just stop here, I asked myself. Why
can't I just stay here and watch this beautiful night unfold? Ah,
but I was expected elsewhere by people who depend on me. I could not
tarry . So, while the sun sank and the mountain glowed and the moon
ascended and the wind swooned and the best and brightest of the stars
and planets set their kindling alight, I commuted. As I rolled along
the highway cut from the river's bank, I considered her. She could,
with one powerful spasm of her vast volcanic heart, change
everything: turn night to day, rearrange the landscape, burn the
city to the ground, dam the rivers and flood the earth. She could
clean us out, she could. Had it been her choice to do so, just right
then, I think I would have cheered.

Wayne

Jennifer Head

Ph.D. Candidate