[pct-l] Deet

I completed a maritime survival course in Alaska (I Survived in '85).
One topic was insect repellent.
One fact I'm sure of is that the effectiveness of Deet-based
repellents coincides with the percentage of deet in them. In Alaska,
where mosquitos should have fuselage numbers, the only truly
effective repellant is 100% deet. From personal experience, don't
bother with cans, creams, sprays, with anything less than 100% deet.
Typically comes in a four-ounce bottle. Yes, this is the stuff that
dissolves plastic, and has a really nasty odor. However it does last
and is also effective against ticks, and, to lesser extent, deer and
black flies if I remember correctly. As I'm sure you all know, it has
to be used carefully, and has some significant downsides. Also the
usual disclaimer applies: what works for me might not work for you
and verse-vice-a.

Last summer, my very unscientific personal comparison test of two
types of repellents ended voluntarily by the end of the first day on
the trail. I compared the effectiveness, for me, in the local
conditions, and at that level of exertion for me, of 100% deet and
Cutter Advanced (Picaridin) lotion. First I tried this new Picaridin-
based lotion. Seemed to be effective for about an hour, except that
it came off wherever I was sweating/chafing. However, by the end of
the day, I was moving faster than I wanted to, just to stay ahead of
the clouds of mosquitos in pursuit of my warm, sweaty, CO2-producing
carcass. They caught up with me just in time for dinner, and I
relented and slapped on some 100% deet so I could finish dinner and
retreat into my tent. I gave away the Picaridin lotion to a SoBo
section hiker who had forgotten his at home. A little protection is
better than nothing.