[pct-l] First death on PCT in 2006

I got this note yesterday.
-----------------------

I am the bearer of some very sad news.  A few of you are already aware
of this.

Gary Embrey, our friend, died on Sunday, February, 5th after a climbing
accident on Baden-Powell in our local mountains.  His girlfriend was
with him.   Yes, they both had helmets, ice axes in hand, crampons on,
rope.  It was a terrible accident.

Apparently he had just belayed her across an icy chute, then followed,
himself.  He slipped, could not self-arrest, and slid 300 feet into
rocks, and died at the hospital.

Gary went doing what he loved to do -- climb, help others, passing along
his abundant knowledge of the outdoors.

You may hear about this from other sources -- you may even catch a
newsbrief about "hikers rescued in the San Bernardino Mountains" -- but
I hope that all of you will remember the very special person that Gary
was -- incredibly knowledgeable, possibly abrasive, but always
passionate.
====================

Wynne Benti, author, wrote this to me:

-------------------------

Gary is the son of my dear friend Sue Embrey of the Manzanar
Committee.
I published Ansel Adams book Born Free and Equal which were his
photographs and writings about Japanese American internment during WWII.
The publication of the book almost ruined Adams' career as a
photographer as he was seen as a traitor.

Sue wrote an introductory section and helped gather the support of the
Japanese American Community when the Ansel Adams Publishing Rights Trust
tried to stop publication.

This is a tragedy.

I had served with Gary on an endangered species task force for the Sierra
Club, and had the chance to hike with him.  He had talked with me
only a week ago, about volunteering to work as a Wilderness Ranger this
summer.

It looks like the local mountains are due, again, to exact their
heavy toll this winter.....

 Ken