[pct-l] "Grizzly Man" on TV tonight

I watched it, too.  It was definitely a cinematic study of a bipolar,
paranoid, addictive personality rather than bears.  I suppose
studying such personalities is valuable to the extent that it might
enable us to bring cure or comfort to such tortured souls, but
Herzog's "study" of Treadwell was no more scientific or useful than
Treadwell's "study" of Grizzlies. In fact there seems to be a
striking parallel between Herzog's rapt fascination with Treadwell
and Treadwell's similar fixation on the Grizzlies.  Likewise, Herzog
seemed to insert himself into this film in somewhat the same way
Treadwell featured himself in his footage.  Herzog was not obtrusive
exactly, but how many director's appear at all in their films?
Herzog found himself on screen quite a bit here.  The irony of it
seemed obvious enough to me that I concluded that it could not have
been unintentional.

I was also puzzled by what people thought Treadwell was
"protecting."  I am willing to agree that Treadwell thought he was
protecting the bears from something, but he was crazy. The bears are
already protected by government regulation and their own isolation.
Treadwell violated both with impunity.  The only danger attributable
to the outside world identified in the film was that "poachers" were
killing the bears. The official position was that poaching was not a
significant problem here.  In the epilogue, Herzog allowed two of
Treadwell's friends to gather around a grizzly carcass and claim that
the dead bear and others had been killed by poachers since
Treadwell's death, but Herzog presented this as the flimsiest of
speculations.  Was there any actual evidence of the cause of this
bear's death, that other bears had died and, if so, what had caused
their deaths?  Presumably, if there was even a shred of evidence to
show that Treadwell's absence has resulted in a poaching epidemic,
Herzog would have presented it.  Yet people were willing to
contribute financially to Treadwell's endeavor and allow him to make
presentations to impressionable children without a shred of proof
that anything of value was being accomplished. It always amazes me
how easy it is to get people to take their place in the Koolaid line.

So Treadwell failed to fascinate me and I found myself trying to see
around this blonde buffoon for a look at the bears.  Ultimately, I
have to agree with Herzog and
Doc Holliday in his post that the Grizzly bears, while starkly
beautiful animals, are creatures best left the heck alone.  Now, the
foxes on the other hand, the foxes are another story.  Oh, what a
fine thing it would be to have a fox for your friend!  Does anyone
know if there is a fox sanctuary somewhere?  I could go there and
befriend them and film them and become their protector.  Then someone
could make a film about me.  The Fox Man.  I could travel the globe
spreading cayenne pepper on the ground in front of the dogs in the
fox hunts, springing foxes from traps and fox ranches and sneaking
foxes into hen houses. Oh, what a life it would be!

Wayne Kraft