[pct-l] OT: Any experience with Henry Shires Cloudburst insnowstorm?

Randy wrote:

Trying snowcamping for 1st time this winter. Just did one trip using
old 5 lb sierra designs double walled tent, but would like to lower
pack weight by 5 lbs. Switching to my 2 lb tarptent would be a good
start, but have some concerns about the tent collapsing on top of us
under a heavy snowfall, even if I get up every couple of hours to
shovel it off. Any comments?

Well, tarptents aren't really meant for serious winter camping.  I have
no doubt that people can and do use them that way, but I don't think
anyone would claim that it's a good idea.  Lack of structural support is
a problem, as is all the open space at the ends and along the sides.  If
it's snowing, it's possibly also blowing pretty good, and the wind would
probably fill the inside of the tarptent with snow in pretty short
order.

Personally, I'm a big fan of ultralight in the summer but when it comes
to winter camping, ultralight goes right out the window.  You just don't
mess around with winter storms.  That is, of course, my personal
opinion.  :-)

That said, there is still a wide range of possible weights even in
four-season tents.  You might be able to knock a bit off that 5 lbs
weight, though probably not without a significant investment of money.

Eric