[pct-l] re: Single Wall Tents GROTTO

Looks like the same design as my  Eureka Solitiare that I got for $50 for my 2004 hike.  It did withstand 8  of 15 days of almost constant rain and wind in WA state ..... don't think I stayed completely dry though.  Not a problem with the tent but rather a problem with getting in the tent WET. THe reason I replaced it with a 6 Moon Design Lunar is the lack of space -   tough to move around, hang out, get changed, keep your gear inside --- etc.and weight.

  SB

Doodad PCT <doodad.pct@hotmail.com> wrote:
  We had similar experience with a 4-season single-wall tent which Mountain
Safety Research had famously tested by building a platform for it above a
station wagon and driving it at highway speeds! We used the MSR tent
happily for many years, but only in winter. It was heavy and bulky. We
finally retired it when its stench became overpowering. Margaret's and my
roomy single-wall winter tent is now the expedition-grade MK3, "Olivia,"
made by Integral Designs of Calgary, Alberta. We added the optional
vestibule so we can keep our backpacks inside.

The MK3's two parabolic poles give it lots of headroom and excellent
snow-shedding characteristics. There's even room inside for an "attic" for
storing gear that needs drying. We have thoroughly enjoyed Olivia. One
characteristic of the MK3 is that it has and endoskeleton, so you can toss
it on the ground in fierce weather, throw your gear inside, and then dive in
yourself and set it up from inside!

When it came time to choose a shelter for my coming solo PCT trek, I picked
another Integral Design expedition tent, the Mega Sola, "Grotto," made with
the same fabric as the MK3, MK1 Lite and MK1 XL:

The Mega Sola is bivy style rather than parabolic. Grotto is very lengthy,
so I can fit inside with all of my gear without crowding. That isn't
possible in the heavier and more expensive MK1 XL. I'd have to add a
vestibule to the MK1 XL -- more weight and expense. Two can fit inside
Grotto in a pinch. I can't sit up straight-backed inside it. The jury is
still out, however. I haven't yet slept in Grotto during a raging storm.

I found an old Early Winters sleeping bag cover with bug net in a
members-only sale bin at REI. For some nights in the trail, I may just use
that and not bother to set up Grotto. The extra layer of the sleeping bag
cover also will add comfort to my 20? F down bag when it gets really chilly
inside Grotto.

Doodad
PCT Northbound 2006