[pct-l] Slightly tongue-in-cheek, some lesser hazards.

Well put..

My two scariest moments on the PCT also had nothing to do with
bears,snakes,bugs, snow or cougars.

The first was an encounter with a huge buck that leapt out onto the trail
and faced me with its head lowered and its rack poised to skewer me. I had
been hiking from Reds Meadow to Thousand Island lakes and I think that the
sound of my hiking poles striking the granite rocks must have sounded like a
couple of young bucks going at it. This buck that I met looked like he
wanted to take on the winner of that contest. Luckily, the big fellow looked
up at me with a puzzled look and then crashed through the brush and was
gone...My heart was in my throat for hours after that..."The first thruhiker
to be killed by Bambi"..what an epithet.

The second incident was when I camped north of Chester under those Sugar
Pine trees...The wind picked up quite a bit that night and I awoke to the
sound of those huge sugar pine cones crashing to the ground near me..I
wasn't hit but I didn't sleep very well that night....had flashbacks of Nam
though ;-)

Redwood