[pct-l] PCT Trail Projects

Get your calendar out and put these down.  This is long but a detailed
schedule of trail projects for the first half of 2006 and some Trail Gorilla news.
If you're tough and trail minded and looking for some back-breaking work to
put back into this incredible resource, then consider joining any of these
planned projects in Sth Calif.

PCTA Region 1 Trail News January 6, 2006 from Pete Fish
Reflections
What?s new?
2005 was very busy on the trail maintenance front right up to the end as our
last scheduled project
(Liebre) ended on Dec. 26. There was the PCTA Rigging Workshop hosted by
Region 1 in Nov -
Dec, and the delineation of 37 projects for ?06 that were approved during the
six PCT
Coordination Meetings with government agencies in Nov. The year looked like
this ? Out of 26
projects proposed we completed 23 that required 42 crew musters. Some
projects (Lytle Ridge,
Liebre, and Spitler Realignment) were ongoing and required multiple
mobilizations. The Golden
Oak Spring project was postponed for the second year due to an ongoing access
problem. The
Chariot Canyon trail machine and hand crew project was postponed due to
weather, and one
project was postponed because packers were not available. All told, this was
an accomplishment
that you trail maintainers can be very proud of.
WORK DAYS TOT HRS TRAIL HRS MILES
PCTA Crews 1,012 8,705 3,477 104,552
PCTA Individuals 292 2,337 270 9,720
Totals 1,303 11,042 3,747 114,272

Region 1 hosted the PCTA Rigging Workshop Nov 27 ? Dec 2, camping out in
Garner Valley.
Lester Kenway was the chief instructor. Under his expert guidance 21
attendees from CA and
WA learned the finer points of high-lining heavy loads using Griphoists,
splitting granite with
rifting hammer, hand tracer, and pins & feathers, and Pionjar gas powered
drills. Dolly Chapman
covered crosscut saw sharpening and use, Pete Fish and Ed Kirste demo-ed
Pionjar and Boulder
Buster. This was hands-on training and safety was emphasized throughout. All
hands agreed this
was a very worthwhile experience. Edwina and Al Golightly, with the help of
Arlene Foster
and Doris Peddy did a great job feeding everyone. Attendees were divided into
groups to assist
them, competing for possession of the 5 neatly trimmed granite obelisks
produced during the
workshop. These weighed about ? ton apiece, ?.so the winners opted for
flashlights instead. Our
thoughts and encouragement go to three of our own and their families. Ben
York suffered a stroke
last summer while he and his wife Adeline were traveling in Siberia. He
continues to undergo
therapy and although communicating is hard for him at times Ben has not lost
his sense of humor,
or his desire to speak up. Lester Olin continues to undergo chemotherapy but
in between times he
and his wife Deb (a TG in her own right) traveled and spent time at their
mountain cabin. And,
Don Bennett is sidelined with a troublesome shoulder. These are veteran Trail
Gorillas that we
really miss. PCTA is in the process of selecting a paid full time So.
California Regional
So. California
Region 1 Trail Gorillas
Pacific Crest Trail Association
the first 700 miles of the trail

?.But not forgotten ? Julian Almaraz, of Ridgecrest, passed away last
spring. He is remembered as
a good friend and true Trail Gorilla with whom we shared hard work, fun, and
adventure. As a PCTA
Area Coordinator he helped and befriended hikers and horsemen who traversed
his section of the trail
from Walker Pass to Kennedy Meadows. In between he was a one-man crew with
crosscut saw and
Pulaski who loved working on the trail. His good humor was reflected in his
smile (photo) as well as
his email address ? Wholian, a help to those of us who tend to mispronounce
his name. Julian was a
member of a Ridgecrest Veteran?s organization that joined in establishing a
PCTA memorial fund in
his honor. The Almaraz family asks to be remembered to and sends best wishes
to Julian?s many
PCT friends. ????..?????.this issue of the newsletter is dedicated to him.
We are very sorry to hear that Darrell Readman passed away in Agua Dulce on
Christmas Eve. He
was a long time trail advocate and horseman who packed for us at various
times. Los Angeles County
recently named a trail in his honor. The PCT as well as other So. California
trails have lost a real
friend.

Representative. The outcome, expected to be announced in the next few weeks
will complete the
reorganization of Region 1 started last spring. Beginning last April we
received grants from the
Forest Service for equipment and for fuel reimbursement for those who use
their own vehicles to
haul pack stock, equipment, supplies, or other volunteers. With rising prices
for fuel and steel this
help was greatly appreciated and was an important factor in getting the job
done. Among other
things, we were able to purchase two new Stihl MS440 chain saws, another
Stihl FS550 brush
saw, a set of panniers and slings for packing in equipment, and a 270-gallon
collapsible water tank.
Since it must be packed into almost all of our remote projects, water is a
major consideration.
Finally, it is with great personal regret that I received Ed Kirste?s
resignation as Section D Chief.
Ed has long been a mainstay of our group, as TG, packer, cook, carpenter,
recruiter, and general
expediter. We have shared a long path with the adventures it brought. Thank
you.

What?s next? ......including Calendar for First Half ?06
Trail Projects - What to bring? For all trail projects, unless otherwise
indicated, bring car/tent
camping gear, heavy gloves, eye protection, sun protection (hat and
sunscreen), brush protection
(long sleeves & long pants), sturdy boots, daypack, flashlight, and water
bottles. Warm clothes
and rain gear are in order especially for spring and fall projects. Please
let us know if you are
coming so we can arrange food, equipment, and supervision, and to receive any
last minute
instructions. Every volunteer must sign up each day with the Crew Leader to
be covered for
Workman?s Compensation, and to make sure that no one gets left behind at the
end of the day.
What is involved? Moderate to strenuous physical activity cutting brush with
saws and loppers,
pulling and disposing of cut brush out of sight, grubbing out root balls with
a Pulaski, shaping
tread with a McLeod, re-building rock walls, or repairing water bars to
re-establish drainage
control. Certified volunteers will be using chain and brush saws and other
equipment. A hike in
and out of several miles carrying tools or personal camping gear may be
required. Some projects
involve working with packhorses and mules. We assume you are experienced in
mountain travel,
camping out, safety, working on a crew under direction, and wilderness
hygiene. If you have
questions about these subjects or if you have health concerns be sure to
bring them up with the
leader prior to the trip. We ask all volunteers to fill out a form answering
what we call ?Campy?s
Twenty Questions?. This gives us an idea of your experience, special
aptitude, physical limitations
or concerns, and emergency contact person.

What does PCTA provide? Don?t worry if you have not been out with us before.
We provide
food (unless indicated otherwise), water, tools, hard hats, orientation/instr
uction, and supervision.
To sign up for a project, contact the person(s) designated. You will need to
send in a $25 deposit,
but only one deposit per season even if you participate more than once.
Checks payable to
PCTA, and please mail to me in Ventura. Partial or full refunds at year-end
are anticipated but not
guaranteed. For refunds apply to the PCTA office in Sacramento. By all means
come out even if
you can?t stay the entire time, and if you are available at times other than
those listed let me know.
We have lots of ongoing projects or new ones coming up all the time.
If you have questions or to make a deposit, contact/mail:
Pete Fish
PCTA So. California Regional Trail Coordinator
409 La Salle Ave., Ventura, CA 93003. Ph. 805-658-6540
Email <pickaxepete@sbcglobal.net>

Definitions FALC= Fast Attack Light Cavalry (our packers & co-Trail
Gorillas), FOOT= the
rest of us. You can assume FOOT are needed for all projects unless indicated
otherwise.
2495. Jan 1 ? Sep 30. ?Fannypack? Projects on SBNF, ANF, and BLM. Swat teams
to inventory trail, clear trees and boulders, and repair slides on short
notice. Open to
qualified volunteers. Contact Pete Fish 805-658-6540
pickaxepete@sbcglobal.net .
2499.

Jan 3 & 4. Tue & Wed. SHORT LITTLE LYTLE RIDGE PROJECT. SBNF/Front
Country RD. Guidebook Map D ? 2. Start off the New Year with a warm-up
project that'll freeze
your buns off! January 3 and 4, doing brushing and tread work on Lytle Ridge.
Show up at
Mormon Rocks Station by 7:00 AM on Tuesday; bring your own lunch for the day.
We will
carpool to the worksite. Stay Tuesday night at Mormon Rocks Station, dinner
catered by Sweet
Alice's Fine Foods. Breakfast and lunch-making materials provided on
Wednesday, carpool back to
the worksite, go home Wednesday afternoon. Contact me Edkirste@aol.com or Pete
pickaxepete@Sbcglobal.net. Exit I-15 at Cajon Junction; drive west on Hwy 138
for 1.6 miles to
junction with Lone Pine Canyon Road. Continue 0.3 mi west on Hwy 138. Station
is on your left.
A few bedrooms available for the ladies. Others car camp or sleep upstairs in
the loft, bring cots
and pads.

2500. Jan 13 ? 20. Fri ? Fri. Thing Valley ? Desert View. CNF/Descanso RD.
Guidebook
Maps A 6 ? 8. Brushing and spot tread work @ 6000? (from Thing Valley Road
to Desert View
FALC
Trail). Stay inside at Red Tailed Roost at Mt. Laguna, bunks for 14, kitchen,
showers. Arrive Fri.
in time for dinner. Edwina and Al Golightly will be in charge of the kitchen.
Work Sat ? Fri,
pack-up 2nd Fri morning and leave after work Fri afternoon. Contact George
Boone (619) 478-
5537 george.boone@dhs.gov or Pete Fish 805-658-6540
pickaxepete@sbcglobal.net. Exit I-8
just east of Pine Valley, take Road S-1 (Sunrise Highway) about 8 miles north
to Mt. Laguna, Red
Tailed Roost Volunteer Center which is on the left 0.4 miles beyond milepost
22, and opposite
County fire station on the right. Roost phone is 619-473-9564.

2510. Feb 3 ? 5. Fri ? Sun. Chain Saw Certification School. Conducted by
Angeles NF.
Covers safety, operation, and saw maintenance and includes lots of practical
work. Bring your
leather boots, gloves, and daypack, also chain saw, chaps, flak helmet or
hardhat if you have them.
Class starts at 8 am and ends at 4:30 pm. Dates and site not yet confirmed by
ANF for sure, but
signups will be kept in the loop. We will be on our own for meals, but
presumably will be able to
car/tent camp near the site and may be able to work out group meals. Last
class certified 13
PCTA/BCHC volunteers at A level and 8 at B level. Certification is good for 2
years at B level, 3
for C. Contact Pete Fish 805-658-6540 pickaxepete@sbcglobal.net .
2515. Feb 9 ? 15. Thu ? Wed. Indian Flats to ABDSP Boundary. CNF/Palomar RD.
Map B ? 2. Clear deadfalls and brush, and do spot tread repairs. Spike camp
with packer
support. It is about 5 mi. in from trailhead and a 1200? climb. Meet at
trailhead by 0800.
First meal provided will be dinner at spike camp so bring a lunch. Work Thu
aft and Fri ?Wed
noon. Pack out Wed and go home. Contact David and Arlene Foster (951) 767-1237
arlene278@juno.com or Pete Fish 805-658-6540 pickaxepete@sbcglobal.net. From
Hwy. 79, ?
mi. south of Warner Springs airstrip, turn east on Indian Flats (Lost Valley)
Road which is mostly
paved but narrow and twisty. Trailhead is 4.5 mi in. Rigs can turn around
just beyond. Packers
will stay at Indian Flats CG which is 1.9 mi further.

2520. Feb 24 ? Mar 5. Fri //Sun. Mormon Rocks. SGNF Mountaintop and Front
Country
RDs. Maps C 15 ? D-1. Brushing and tread work at several locations within
easy commute.
Stay inside at Mormon Rocks Fire Station. Kitchen and showers. A few bedrooms
available for
the ladies. Rest, car camp or sleep upstairs in the loft, bring cots and
pads. Contact John Hachey
909-947-4389 goaliejhachey@msn.com, or Pete Fish 805-658-6540
pickaxepete@sbcglobal.net.
Exit I-15 at Cajon Junction; drive west on Hwy 138 for 1.6 miles to junction
with Lone Pine
Canyon Road. Continue 0.3 mi west on Hwy 138. Station is on your left.

2530. Mar 10 ? 18. Fri // Sat. Chihuahua Valley. CDP&R /Anza Borrego Desert
State Park.
Guidebook Maps B 2 & 3. Tread and rock work using Griphoist and stone
splitter. Elev. 5000?.
We have applied to stay at San Diego State Univ. Research Station and use
kitchen & small
barracks. Rendezvous at the Station by 0800, bring a lunch. Contact David
Foster (951) 767-
1237 arlene278@juno.com or Pete Fish 805-658-6540 pickaxepete@sbcglobal.net .
Turnoff Hwy
79 onto Chihuahua Valley Road. Turnoff is between Oak Grove and Sunshine
Summit. Follow
Chihuahua Valley Road. At 6.25 miles, the road will take a sharp right.
Instead of continuing to
the right, you drive straight ahead, crossing the road and you will see two
parallel roads ahead.
Take the road to the right that says Lost Valley Road (look for a small
street type sign, with a
blue back ground and white lettering and a large wooden sign with a dark
background and yellow
lettering that says ?Lost Valley Scout Camp, 11 miles?.) (Do not take the
road on the left; Cruces
Dr. and Palmas Dr., which has a white square archway over it with two white
gates that are
usually closed). Travel 3 miles on Lost Valley Road and the Sky Oaks Field
Station will be on
the left. There will be some small greenhouses, a trailer, and a large metal
building. The mountain
has recently been burned, all hard to miss

2540. Mar 25. Sat. I-10 Undercrossing Cleanup. BLM/ No. Palm Springs. Map B
11 or C 1.
Need 9 volunteers to help gather trash and re-establish PCT signs and route
on both sides of the
freeway. Meet @ 0700 at PCT crossing of Tamarack Road. Exit I-10 at Haugen /
Laugham
Road (formerly Verbenia) in Cabazon; turn west on Tamarack Rd. about 200 yds
to PCT crossing.
Expect to finish by 1400 hrs. The object here is to keep the area policed so
that it is not a magnet
for further illegal dumping. Bring a lunch. Water and sodas provided. Contact
Don Line at 760-
772-0477 or email him don@roel.com

2545. Mar 21 - Apr 2. Fri ? Sun. PCTA Annual Meeting. Mission Inn in
Riverside, CA.

2550. Apr 2 ? 8. Sun ? Sat. Holcomb Crossing. San Bernardino NF/Mountaintop
RD.
Guidebook Maps C-10 & 11. Need volunteers to clear deadfalls and repair
erosion damage
between Holcomb Crossing and Splinters Bridge crossing Deep Creek. Car/tent
camp at Crab
Flats CG at an elevation of 5500?. Meet Sunday afternoon at Crab Flats CG in
time for dinner.
Work Mon ? Fri, and Sat for those who want to stay. Pack up and leave Sat
aft. Contact John
Hachey 909-947-4389goaliejhachey@msn.com, or Pete Fish 805-658-6540
pickaxepete@sbcglobal.net.
FALC Crab Flats CG is about a 1.5-hour drive from Mission Inn. Road
directions and a map will be
available at the Annual Meeting. From San Bernardino intersection of 30 and
330, follow 330 a
little over 20 miles to junction with 18 in Running Springs. Follow 18 east
for 2.9 mi, turn left on
paved road to Green Valley Lake. Follow this for 2.5 mi, turn left on dirt
Crab Flats Road 2N16.
Take this for 3.6 mi, turn left to Crab Flats CG 0.2 mi. Dry unimproved CG.
Bring as much
water as you can conveniently carry.

2551. April 3 ? till the snow melts? Desert Divide Sweep. San Barnardino
NF/San
Jacinto RD. Clear deadfalls and boulders and do spot tread repair from Hwy 74
Crossing to I-10. This will be an ongoing project until it is complete. It
will mostly
involve FALC but FOOT volunteers are welcome to hike in and join for the day.
Contact Contact
David Foster (951) 767-1237 arlene278@juno.com .

2555. Apr 10 ? 12. Mon ? Wed. Lytle Ridge ? continued from above. SBNF/Front
Country
RD. Guidebook Map D ? 2. Brushing and spot tread work. Tentative plan is to
meet on Lytle
Ridge campsite in time for dinner on Mon. Work Tue & Wed. Contact Pete Fish
805-658-6540
(pickaxepete@sbcglobal.net). Turn off Hwy 138 onto Lone Pine Canyon Road,
follow it towards
Wrightwood for 5 mi. Look for gate and FS Road 3N31 and turn left. Follow
3N31 for 3.1 mi to
campsite along road. It is about ? mi. past the crossing of the PCT.

2560. Apr 13 ? 17. Thu ? Mon. Rockhouse Basin. Sequoia NF/ Cannell Meadows
RD.
Maps G 6 & 7. Clear blowdowns blocking trail and do spot tread repair in
Manter Burn
area. Meet at the Kern River bridge at Kennedy Meadows at 0800 Thu. Thu
morning
FALC will pack in 8 ? mi. to spike camp at Manter Creek crossing, near the
Domeland
Wilderness boundary. Packers can carry tents and sleeping bags for up to 4
FOOT volunteers.
Work Fri ? Sun, pack out on Mon. FALC contact Bill Carter (760) 872-751
optometry@schat.com . FOOT contact Paul Weader (928) 240-0341
pweader@hotmail.com or
Pete Fish 805-658-6540 pickaxepete@sbcglobal.net.

2661. Apr 13 ? 17. Thu ? Mon. Long Valley Loop. BLM/ Bakersfield. Manter Burn
area. This project will be done in connection with 2560 above.

2570. April 14 ? 23. Fri //Sun. Liebre Mtn. Angeles NF/ Santa Clara & Mojave
Rivers RD.
Maps E 8 & 9. Brushing and spot tread work. Car camp at primitive Bear CG.
Meet Apr 14 at
entrance to Sawmill CG at 2 pm, and we will convoy on to Bear Camp. Contact
Dave Fleischman
(310) 915-9539 owldave@hotmail.com or Pete Fish 805-658-6540
pickaxepete@sbcglobal.net .
In Antelope Valley, turn south off Hwy 138 onto Three Points Road. At Three
Points check
mileage. Bear left on Pine Canyon Rd. and drive 4.9 miles SE to top of
saddle, turn sharp right
onto dirt road (7N23). Follow 2.7 mi to saddle junction with PCT, turn right
and follow 7N23 for
3.5 miles to Sawmill CG. Stay on 7N23. From Sawmill CG to the gate is 1.3 mi.
>From the gate
to Bear Camp is 2.5 mi.

2580. Apr 21 ?25. Fri ? Tue. Landers Meadow. Sequoia NF/ Cannell Meadows
RD. Maps F 6 ? 8. BCHC project. Clear deadfalls and do spot tread repair as
necessary. Work may involve helping repair Robin Bird Spring. For details
contact
Jerry Stone (661) 270-1634 trailstone@msn.com or Pete Fish 805-658-6540
pickaxepete@sbcglobal.net.

2585. Apr 28 ? 30. Fri ? Sun. PCT Kickoff. Cleveland NF/Descanso RD. Trail
projects in
conjunction with ADZPCTKO at Lake Morena. Brushing and tread work. Maps A 1 ?
5.
Car/tent camp at site to follow. Contact George Boone (619) 478-5537
george.boone@dhs.gov or
Pete Fish 805-658-6540 pickaxepete@sbcglobal.net . Car or tent camp at Lake
Morena County
Park. Exit I-8 at Buckman Springs Road, and drive south 4 miles, turn west on
Oak Dr. to Lake
Morena, then bear right on Lake Morena Dr., follow signs to Lake Morena Co.
Park. Fri & Sun
meet at the PCTA trailer near Kickoff HQ at 0800 for brief
signup/orientation. Convoy or hike to
worksite . Sat. most will want to attend the Kickoff program but for those
who want to work for a
half day meet at 0730 at the PCTA trailer.

2587. May 1 ? 3. Mon ? Wed. Lytle Ridge ? continued. SBNF/Front Country RD.
Guidebook
Map D ? 2. Brushing and spot tread work. Tentative plan is to meet on Lytle
Ridge campsite in
time for dinner on Mon. Work Tue & Wed. Contact Pete Fish 805-658-6540
pickaxepete@Sbcglobal.net. Turn off Hwy 138 onto Lone Pine Canyon Road,
follow it towards
Wrightwood for 5 mi. Look for gate and FS Road 3N31 and turn left. Follow
3N31 for 3.1 mi to
campsite along road. It is about ? mi. past the crossing of the PCT.

2590. May 6 - 11. Sat - Thu. Skinner Peak Ridge. Wilderness area. Sequoia NF/
Cannell
Meadows RD. Map F-11. Brushing and tread work. Base camp at Bird Springs
Pass. Packer support for spike camp 3 miles in and 1500? up, at an elevation
of 7000?.
FOOT should be prepared to carry some of your personal gear in. Bring as much
drinking water to base camp as you can conveniently carry. Bring a lunch and
rendezvous at Bird
FALC
Springs Pass at 0800 on Sat. Pack in and work Sat aft, and Sun ?Thu morning.
Pack out and
leave Thu aft. Contact Jerry Stone (661) 270-1634 trailstone@msn.com or Pete
Fish 805-658-
6540 pickaxepete@sbcglobal.net. Turn west off Hwy 14 onto dirt BLM Road SC65
that follows
Little Dixie Wash. Follow SC65 4 ? mi. to first LA Aqueduct crossing. Turn
south follow
aqueduct road for 1 ? mi., turn west on SC106 then join SC120 to base camp at
Bird Springs Pass
8 mi. Total from Hwy 14 is 14 mi.

2591. May 15 + or -. South Peak Boulder. San Bernardino NF/San Jacinto RD.
Map B-8. Use boulder-splitting equipment and Griphoist to demolish and move a
large
boulder obstructing the trail. Depends on when site is free of snow. May take
more
than one trip in. FOOT welcome to hike in for the day to meet FALC. Contact
David Foster
(951) 767-1237 arlene278@juno.com

2592. May 18 ? 20. Thu ? Sat. Lamont Peak Ridge. Wilderness area. BLM/
Bakersfield.
Maps G 3 & 4. Pack in tools to include crosscut saws and Griphoist to clear
deadfalls.
Repair rockwork and do spot tread work and brushing as needed. Base camp at
Connell
Ranch. Meet there Thu afternoon for BBQ dinner. Pack in Fri, work Fri & Sat.
Pack
out equipment on Sat afternoon. Contact Pete Fish 805-658-6540
pickaxepete@sbcglobal.net.
>From Hwy 178 west of Walker Pass Chimney Creek Road north 2.6 miles; turn
east onto Connell
Ranch Road (look for the PCTA sign.). Proceed east about 1/3 mile to gate.
Base Camp will be
near the corral and water for stock.

2593. May 21 ? 23. Sun ? Tue. Lamont Point ? Chimney Creek. Wilderness area.
BLM/ Bakersfield. Map G 4. Sun morning move to Chimney Creek CG. FALC pack in
crosscuts and Griphoists to get leaner near Lamont Point. Meanwhile, FOOT
will work
trail south from Chimney Creek crossing to repair runoff damage to trail and
clear brush
as necessary. Work Sun, Mon, & Tue. Leave Tue afternoon. Contact Paul Weader
(928) 240-
0341 pweader@hotmail.com or Pete Fish 805-658-6540 pickaxepete@sbcglobal.net.

2600. Jun 2 ? 11. Fri //Sun. Mt. Jenkins. Wilderness area. BLM/Bakersfield.
Maps G 1 ? 3.
Clear deadfalls and boulders, clear brush, rebuild rock retaining walls.
Packer support for
spike camp at 6800? near Mt Jenkins. Hikers be prepared to carry in personal
equipment
from Walker Pass, about 6 mi. in and 1300? up. Rendezvous at Walker Pass CG
at 0800
on Fri. This will probably be the base camp for FALC, and it?s a good place
to spend Thu night if
you want. Contact Paul Weader (928) 240-0341 pweader@hotmail.com or Pete Fish
805-658-
6540 pickaxepete@sbcglobal.net.

2610. June 16 ? 25. Fri//Sun. Fuller Ridge. CDP&R/Mt. San Jacinto SP. Clear
deadfalls,
brush, restore tread, and repair rockwork. Clear boulders using Pionjar and
Boulder
Buster. Map B-10/ Packer support. Base camp at Black Mtn. trailhead, hikers be
prepared to carry in some of your personal gear to spike camp on Fuller Ridge
at 8000?
elevation. Arrive at base camp in time for dinner Jun 16. Work Sat ? Sat.
Last Sunday pack up
and go home. Contact David Foster (951) 767-1237 arlene278@juno.com or Pete
Fish 805-658-
6540 pickaxepete@sbcglobal.net . From Hwy. 243 north of Idyllwild and Pine
Cove take signed
dirt road 4S01 eight miles, past Black Mtn. Group CG on the right, to PCTA
trailhead. Road is
slow going but OK for sedans and trailer rigs. Be alert for logging trucks.
Bring as much water as
you can conveniently carry.

On our radar ? no dates yet
?  Chariot & Rodriquez Canyons. Joint project with Cleveland NF/Palomar RD,
CDP&R
Anza Borrego DSP, and BLM/El Centro. Map A ? 10. Use trail machine for about
? mi.
to repair badly eroded PCT descending into Chariot Canyon. Brush and do spot
tread
repair from Chariot Canyon to Rodriquez Canyon Roads. Waiting on rain for
dozer work.
George Boone.
?  San Felipe Ridge ? South half. CDP&R/Anza Borrego DSP. Maps A 11 & 12.
About 9
mi. of trail needs light brushing and spot tread work. We hope to farm this
out to another
organization. George Boone.
?  San Felipe Ridge ? North. BLM/ El Centro. Map A-13. Project is mostly in
the Pines
burn area that extends 4.08 miles south on the PCT from S-22. Needs light
brushing and
spot tread work. Farm-out candidate. George Boone.
?  Agua Caliente Creek. Cleveland NF/Palomar RD. Maps B 1 & 2. Brush 1 ? mi
section and do spot tread repair. In process of farming this out to Puerta La
Cruz Honor
Camp. David Foster.
?  Tule Spring to Hwy 74. BLM/ N. Palm Springs. Maps B 4 & 5. Parts of this
section
need brushing and light tread work. We are requesting help from Bautista
Conservation
Camp in Hemet. Section offers frequent road access for fire crews who may
have to
respond quickly to an emergency call. David Foster.
?  Upper Lytle & Blue Ridge. San Bernardino NF/Front Country RD. Maps D 2 & 3.
Clear deadfalls, brush, and do spot tread repair. Pete Fish.
?  Cooper Canyon. Angeles NF/LA River RD. Map D ?7. Clear deadfalls along 5.2
mi.
FALC
section and build Sutter walls to repair erosion damage. Requires NEPA
clearance,
scheduled for fall ?06. Pete Fish.
?  Sawmill CG ? Atmore Meadows Road. Angeles NF/Santa Clara & Mojave Rivers
RD.
Map E?8. Clear brush along 1.9 mi section. Clean out culverts, and do spot
tread work.
We are hoping to team up with a Boy Scout Troop to work with PCTA sawyers.
Dave
Fleischman.
?  Golden Oak Spring. BLM/Ridgecrest. Maps F 3 ? 5. An access problem has
postponed
this project for the last two years. Sections along eleven miles of the PCT,
mostly on Sky River Ranch wind farm, urgently need brushing and tread work.
BLM is working on the problem but it will probably continue for awhile, so we
are
tentatively planning a large FALC-supported project next fall, using upper
Jawbone
Canyon for access. Need 12 FOOT and 10 FALC volunteers to haul in water,
supplies,
and equipment. Jerry Stone.
?  Kennedy Meadows Sage Project. Sequoia NF/ Cannell Meadows RD. Map G ? 7.
Need 6 volunteers to clear sagebrush and other growth encroaching on the
trail, repair
runoff damage both north and south of the Kennedy Meadows Bridge. Easy
access, will
probably be done as a two-day outing. Paul Weader.