[pct-l] Squeaky

All of us at the VVR are very happy for Squeaky and his triple crown accomplishment.

  Squeaky was our first PCT hiker and in fact the first hiker that came through the VVR this past year. The road was still closed due to the tremendous snowfall and we were having to snowmobile or quad in the 28.9 miles it takes to get into our place. Chef Stan and I were sitting in the restaurant one early evening when we saw this skinny guy (must be a PCTer) walking on the snowbank in front of the window. We were happy to see him, as we were getting lonely and I'm pretty positive he was happy to see us. He swallowed down a couple of VVR burgers back to back.....!! I'm just sorry we could'nt feed him any pie, just could'nt haul that much stuff in over the snow.

  Squeaky was as humble and non-assuming as one can be, his goal was his and quietly his. We see a lot of hikers at the VVR, there are those that stand out because of their spirit and quality of soul, Squeaky like Scott, Yogi, Billy Goat and others enhance our lives with their simple approach to their lives and personal journeys.

  So at years end as I reflect; I can only say that I am blessed to be touched by those few individuals in that they share their journey with us even if only for a few hours while they stop to rest and recover.

  God Speed to Squeaky and to all of you as you prepare for your own journeys in 2006, Let us all hope that as we share our passion for the outdoors, that in doing so we can enhance the quality of the memories of the people who passed before us.

  Shawn and I will raise our first toast to Squeaky tonight... thank you for sharing.

  Happy New Year to all the Trekkers, Climbers and Hikers those from the past and to those whose path will cross ours this year.

  Be Well,

  Jim-C