[pct-l] Baking in the Backcountry

> Does anyone know of an easy way to bake on the trail using a pepsi
> can stove?   That would just be the best ever.
>
> I made myself hungry here...

I haven't tried this with an alcohol stove but with a canister stove
I used a double-boiler method for a couple months on my AT thru-hike:

I carried my regular pot and a smaller pot that fit inside the regular
pot.  Put an inch or so of water in the large pot and the batter in
the smaller pot.  Float the smaller pot in the water and then put a
lid on the smaller pot.  It is important that the lid make a good seal
on the small pot, you want the air inside the small pot to get as hot
as possible.  You'll have to experiment with the cook time but resist
the urge to peek and check the batter--you'll lose all the hot air
out of the small pot and it is the hot air that helps to 'bake'
the batter. Make sure you have enough water such that it doesn't all
boil off during the baking.

I'm not claiming that this approach was perfect but it did create
very edible corn muffins, gingerbread, and brownies.  I gave this up
in Virginia because I didn't want to carry the extra pot.

Gary Wright (Radar)