[pct-l] Mapping software needed

I'm looking for recommendations for mapping software.  I received National
Geographic TOPO! for Christmas and so far it's a complete waste.  I don't
use, nor plan to use in future, a GPS.  I don't go off trail, except where
necessary because of trail damage/washout.  I need to see the trail numbers
as well as the topographic features.

I live in WA and have been buying GreenTrails maps for backpacking.  I hike
only in the NW, so all US software is useless.  The Nat. Geo software is so
out of date it has the original placement of the Cascade Crest Trail in
places and completely looses trails on margins.

Suggestions??

Many thanks,

Terriann

"Watch your assumptions, they breed like rabbits..."  TM