[pct-l] Snow and ice NorCal

I concur with the info below. Make your "snow and ice" gear decision based
upon the conditions next June. I doubt you'll need it tho, based upon my
past July4 trips in the local areas over the last 20 years. A hiking pole(s)
can help greatly on short snow fields tho, where an ice axe is overkill.
Many of the short snow patches will have a safer alternate route around it.
There's not much snow up there now, it's been a long couple weeks of warm
rains. Feel free to ask in the spring. Plan for the worst, but expect the
best.

Corky's inquiry:

>Leaving the Oregon-California border headed south to Whitney the last
>week in June.  Typically would a solo hiker be prudent to carry a
>light line, ice axe and in-step crampons?
>The weight, 4 pounds, is negligible if any of the material is needed,
>or even nice. However, if it's just dead weight, it's a lot.
>
>I realize things change year to year, and I'm looking for the "safe
>rather than sorry" mode.  Any ideas would be appreciated.  And, of
>course, I'll check to see what next year is like.

Personally, I don't think any of the three would be needed the last week of
June -
even in most heavier snow years...  I've been in the Marbles and Trinity
Alps late
May and early June (albeit many years ago!) - you may have extensive snow
cover
in late June in heavy snow years, but few places on the PCT in NorCal would
have
the exposure to warrant needing them...  If you are solo, then there really
is no need
for any rope or "line"...  Not many extreme slopes, so the crampons are not
really
needed...  If an ice axe would make you feel better or safer, then carry one
(a
lightweight one!)...  So, instead of 4 pounds, you are down to less than a
pound for
an ice axe by itself...

Hopefully 'Deems' will respond to your post...  he is a very knowledgeable
"local"
and has hiked sections of the PCT in NorCal very early in the season...  I
would
trust what he says...

Good luck.  Happy trails!!!