[pct-l] Questions for fundraisers

I am not going to say anthing one or another about the
validity of charity hikes.

One point I will bring up though is that if a hiker
uses the resources of the trail in someway to raise
money, think they should give back to the trail in
someway as well.

It is the countless hours of the volunteers who make
the PCT (and other trails) possible. If the trail is
your vehicle for raising money, then volunteering with
a local trail org is a nice thing to do. Not everyone
can neccessarily do trail work on the PCT. But in just
about any place you live there are plenty of trail
orgs, open spaces boards, etc. etc. that would gladly
accept your help for a day or two.  Heck, if manual
labor is not your cup of tea..speand a day stuffing
envelopes or working the phones.
Call it cross-trail karma. Trail work can be hard, but
it is rewarding. Any time I did trail work, was fed
exceptionally well!

Told one charity hiker this on trailforums.com awhile
ago..don't think he appreciated my reply. :-)  Of
course, this same person also complained no one
appreciated all the work he does for charities while
hiking, but that's another story...

--Thoreau
http://www.magnanti.com