[pct-l] Snow and ice

Leaving the Oregon-California border headed south to Whitney the last
week in June.  Typically would a solo hiker be prudent to carry a
light line, ice axe and in-step crampons?
The weight, 4 pounds, is negligible if any of the material is needed,
or even nice. However, if it's just dead weight, it's a lot.

I realize things change year to year, and I'm looking for the "safe
rather than sorry" mode.  Any ideas would be appreciated.  And, of
course, I'll check to see what next year is like.

Corky