[pct-l] Question for fundraisers/charity hikers >> aidshike.org

I can second Mouse's comments, as they about describe my circumstances
exactly. I was out there to hike. Period. I started planning my hike a
long time before the concept of doing it for a cause came along. In
fact, it wasn't even my idea - a friend of mine asked if I was doing it
for a cause, to which I said, "No - I should though, huh?" My line of
thought was that it would be a disservice not to be hiking for a cause
if I had the time and motivation, which I did.

That said, every now and again, it was nice to think to myself that with
every footfall that I took, I raised some bit of money. I can't say that
really motivated me that much in the short term (take a break now, or
keep going), but in the long run (should I maybe just quit?) it
definitely made a difference at least a couple times.

Anyway, to answer Rhys's original question, if you're hiking for a
cause, I'd love to hear from you. Look to aidshike.org, my site that I'm
setting up for anybody that's hiking for a cause. After doing my hike
for a cause, I decided the best thing I could do now that I'm back is to
help others do the same - hence the site. Don't let the name fool you.
The site is for anybody hiking for any cause.

-Dr. Patch O'Malley IV

Joseph Niemiec wrote:

> Yeah but some people don;t really know they love to hike and start out
> hiking the PCT. In that case then who cares if they also raise money
> for charity... Plus, if you love to hike, and you are going to hike
> anyway, why not use the opportunity to raise money if you feel like
> it. Or another situation is that you need a little kick in the pants
> to go hike, it helps you do the hike - like gives you extra reason to
> get extra involved. Gets a cause behind you.
>
> Now, I have to say that I just hiked to hike. And in a way it just
> clears your mind. You aren;t out there for anything but your own time.
> That did make the hike enjoyable for me. I didn't really have to think
> about stress - eat, sleep, walk... Wait for the next beautiful
> sight... I liked doing that...
>
> I think that might be the feeling that you think people miss when they
> hike for charity... I understand how you experienced something special
> with hiking just to hike.
>
> But all people need different things I think. Maybe they already got
> that feeling of freedom for themselves in a different life experience.
> But this time they want to do it for another reason... I don;t see
> harm in that.
>
> I think there is more to your story, like some chairty hikers that you
> hiked with once always baked fresh muffins and never gave you any or
> something ;)
>

> But if anyone does start to hike for charity, I recommend they do it
> for the organization entitled - 28 year old's who just finished their
> undergrads and do not have jobs yet.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mouse
>
>> To: yogihikes@sbcglobal.net, pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net
>> Subject: RE: [pct-l] Question for fundraisers/charity hikers
>> Date: Mon, 26 Dec 2005 23:03:27 -0600
>>
>> I don;t think it is that absurd... My hiking partner Pineneedle was
>> hiking for charity and Halftrack was too.
>>
>> Does anyone have Halftrack's contact info?
>>
>> Why do you think it is absurd to hike for charity Yogi?
>>
>> Mouse
>>

>>> From: yogi <yogihikes@sbcglobal.net>
>>> To: pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net
>>> Subject: [pct-l] Question for fundraisers/charity hikers
>>> Date: Mon, 26 Dec 2005 20:32:32 -0800 (PST)
>>>
>>> If you want to hike the PCT, then hike the PCT. Period.
>>>
>>> Raising money for a charity is an entirely different subject.
>>> Congratulations for wanting to help a charity. I admire anyone who
>>> dedicates their time to helping any charity. However, in my opinion,
>>> hiking a long trail under the umbrella of hiking "for" something is
>>> . . . . . well . . . . . I just can't find the adjective to explain
>>> how absurd this is.
>>>
>>> yogi
>>> www.pcthandbook.com
>>>

>>> Rhys A <pctchicky@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hello everyone! I want to hike the PCT and raise money for our local
>>> Humane
>>> Society. I've scoured journals and read many books of past 'charity'