[pct-l] water treatment, aqua mira and straws

A number of years ago I heard about a straw filter that the Marines used in Iran for drinking water. I just found this straw filter on the backcountrygear website (fast becoming one of my favorite places!) Has anyone used it? Is it the same as the Marines use? It is sold by McNett, same company that sells Aquamira. It might be a good backup for yukky water sources that need some kind of a filter (used with  prefiltered watered to get the big stuff out). By the way, do coffee filters work for that or not? Other fine mesh or cloth?

  Merry Christmas

  Vic

      Aqua mira
  http://www.backcountrygear.com/catalog/appareldetail.cfm/MTB510
  $11.50 on sale, reg. $13.50, 1 oz, 30 gallons

  Straw filter, $6.95, .25oz??, 20 gallons
  http://www.backcountrygear.com/catalog/accessdetail.cfm/MCN1200

FEATURES

   Emergency water filter for hiking and camping
   Perfect for foreign travel emergencies
   Ideal second filter for "back up" on backpacking trips
   Removes Giardia, Cryptosporidium and bacteria such as E. Coli
   Removes other pathogens and contaminants down to 2 microns
   Ultra light & compact
   Filters up to 20 gallons of water

Check out my blog for photos and stories of my adventures in Peru:
http://spaces.msn.com/members/vichanson/

Yahoo! Photos