[pct-l] Ice axe use and respect

Regarding Ice Axe Use:

I teach ice axe use during my winter snow camping clinics in the Tahoe  area.
 Working with kids from 11 to 65, stopping an out of control descent  is only
part of the goal.  The other part is not injuring yourself in  the process!

The key to the later is to take your time learning, think of the axe as the
cutting tool it is and always know where the sharp edges are, use the straps
(as  Strider so perfectly illustrated) without exception on all hazardous
slopes, and  practice by falling down in almost every conceivable way, tumble a
little down  the hill, and self-arrest. Then practice some more.

Once tired of that, go back to Avalanche Beacon location and recovery with
your probe poles, beacons, and shovels.  You can never be too certain when  you
might trigger a spring sluff, slab, or cave in and need to perform or be
rescued.

Mtnned