[pct-l] ULA Helix Ice Axe

It might be helpful to those new 2006 aspiring hikers to hear my account of
glissading down the side of Mt. Ritter.

I intentionally began glissading down a steep packed snow descent of several
hundred feet with an old wooden handled ice axe and wrist strap.  After going
just a 100 feet or so sliding on my nylon pants the speed increased so
dramatically that I decided that I needed to self arrest, as using the ice axe as a
brake wasn't working.  I rolled over onto the axe and it was immediately jarred
from my grip.  It began flalling above my head but still attached by the
wrist strap (this is THE reason for having a wrist strap!).  After another several
seconds and increasing speed I finally regained control of the axe and now
with a super determination firmly thrust the axe into the soft snow and held on
with all I had.  It worked and slowed my descent to the point that I could
control myself and narrowly avoid a large boulder below.

I think that a wrist strap, attached to your wrist while crossing dangerous
terrane, is perhaps THE most overlooked detail about self arrest with an ice
axe.  Your speed of descent after just a couple seconds provides sufficient
lateral force that it can simply snatch the axe out of your hands when you apply
it to the surface.

IMHO, don't just carry the axe or use it as a walking stick, attach the wrist
strap firmly.  Note, that with it attached and out of control, as in the
account above, it can be just as much of a danger to you as an asset.

Greg