[pct-l] Illegal Marijuana

> Though I've been told that marijuana is natural to North America. Is
> this true? If so, I imagine if you make an effort to find it wild, it'd
> be out there.

I don't know if it's natural to this country, but I have a little info on
how it spread in the early 1900's

That the Indians brought White Man tobacco, is strong proof that, not only
did it exist on this continent, but also that the Indians had not yet
discovered Oregano.

Seriously, the spread of Marajuana in this country, may have been mainly
due to the fact that this country needed lots of rope to fight WWI.
The rope was made of hemp, therefore, marajuana.  When Prohibition was
passed, consumption greatly increased, furthering cultivation in the United
States.
(Prohibition repealed, grave efforts were made to fight the consumption of
marajuana like a $100 per ounce tax placed on it and (this is for real) a
nationally released drug education film called "Refer Madness".)

Old domestic marajuana compared to today's home grown, would be like cheap
beer compared to a single malt unblended Scotch.
It's moved from the Indiana roadside ditches to better growing conditions,
including areas near the PCT.

Around 1980, when the growers would come to town where I lived (Ashland on
the PCT)they smelled worse than hikers.  Even in town they did not bathe.
They were very social, however, and would frequent the crowded clubs on hot
summer nights out on the dance floor, dancing and sweating, dancing and
sweating, no bathing, just dancing and sweating.  Their "Aura" filled the
room.
We knew who they were.  (usually nice people, they just didn't tip very
well.)
And growing near the PCT is decades old.

Warner Springs and once Ashland  Monty