[pct-l] Elephant Foot Sleeping Bag

On 12/1/05, Hiker97@aol.com <Hiker97@aol.com> wrote:

> Has anyone out there used a half  sleeping bag with a down jacket or
> sweater
> for your sleeping system?  I am  thinking of getting the Nunatak 18 ounce
> long
> size half bag (in Epic  fabric).  The Europeans call it an elephant foot
> bag.
> Since I am  getting a down sweater made, I was thinking may be this would
> be
> a better system  at night for a 3 season backpacking.

Years ago I used an elephant foot bag when climbing and on some backpacking
trips.  It worked ok, but I found that I was never as comfortable as when I
using a more tranditional sleeping bag (or quilt these days).  I think there
were a couple of reasons for this.  The first is that my extremities were
adaquately warm, but didn't get toasty warm the way they did inside a full
size bag.  Second, I found that the positions I sleep in (I am not sure why)
were never as comfortable... this maybe have been completely psychological.

--mark