[pct-l] An old trail log... Stevens to Snoqualmie

  This was posted on cooltrails.com

  PCT - Stevens to Snoqualmie

/ <http://www.cooltrails.com/jjolson@uwyo.edu>/

"I would definitely recommend this trip to a friend."

At the end of August, 1998, I hiked the PCT from Stevens Pass to
Snoqualmie Pass, 75 miles, in four days. It was the second trip that
summer where I aimed to average 20 miles or so a day. I'd finally gotten
my base pack weight down to about 17 pounds, not including food and water.

Tom drove me to the pass and as I fitted the pack after futzing a bit,
watched him drive away. I was alone in the wilderness again, after a
three week hiatus (I'd hiked from White to Snoqualmie Pass then). I had
a nervous stomach and a hyperawareness of being back in the woods.

I headed up through the Stevens Pass Ski area, winding through the trees
at 8 in the morning, slowly getting my hiking legs back. I topped the
rise at the top of the ski area and peered down into the basin with a
big power line traversing across to a small lake and a notch. I hiked
down past Lake Susan Jane and by lake Josephine. I definitely had my
hiking legs on.

The trail traversed along a ridge with views down to Trapper Creek and a
final steep switchback up to Trap Pass. I was starting to feel beat, and
it was a real effort hike the last couple hundred yards or so. The pass
is really a notch in the trees, and once on the other side, it's back in
the trees.

The trail stays above Surprise and Glacier Lakes, switchbacks up
Surprise Mountain, and then there is a long forest traverse to the
Deception Lakes, where I'd decided I was going to spend the night. The
forest is really thick there, and a woman was setting up camp in one of
the clear spots, and not wanting to intrude, I continued on. The
campsites were all dirt anyway, and in the trees with no views.

I came to a creek that had a flat spot a hundred yards away and I
gratefully set up camp. My body ached, even after 1000 ml. of ibuprofen
after lunch that had dimmed the muscle aches and foot pain.

I lay back in the quiet of the forest and read until dark, very much
aware of all the sounds, the jays, the deer later I mistook for a bear.
There was no threat of rain so I didn't set up the old North Face tent
fly I was using as a tarp, and watched the moon settle over Mt. Daniel
off in the distance.

The next morning I was up at 6AM and hiking by 6:15. The long traverse
through forest continued and I hiked "down" to Deception Pass, which is
no more than a forested swale it seemed to me. Hinman and Daniel were
the major view the previous afternoon and that morning. But after
crossing the headwaters of the cle elum river it was more gentle
climbing/traversing with views across the canyon to Robin Lake and the
peaks above it. Quite a spectacular way to spend a morning.

The trail crossed a bunch of creeks with no bridges, and it was rock
hopping for me. I couldn't imagine crossing a couple of them earlier in
the season when they would have been roaring and life would have been in
danger. Hyas Lake below and the granite ridge/peaks above became ever
more the focus as I traversed through forest and boulder/avalanch fields.

The trail steepens under Cathedral Rock, and tops out at Cathdral Pass.
What a view. And then down a treeless ridge to the outlet of Deep Lake
where I had lunch, washed clothes and myself, and spent three hours,
napping and reading in the grassy meadow, naked, soaking up the sun.

Refreshed I walked in the heat of the afternoon above Spinola Creek,
always out of sight, but not hearing. Lots of little ups and downs,
until a big traversing turn around the ridge base and there was Waptus
Lake below, way big and inaccessible, or so it seemed. I didn't want to
take time to hike down the couple hundred feet of vertical to visit what
looked like a big reservoir, although I don't think it is.

Just before the bridge that crosses the inlet creek is a big, 40' high
rock/dirt dome. I layed out my sleeping bag under a tree on its top, and
watched the sun go down behind some absolutely spectacular mountains to
the northwest. I think dutch miller gap was up there, but I'm not sure.

The morning sun was breathtaking, and so rather than eating my granola
and rehydrated milk with raisins on the trail, I ate breakfast and
watched the sun go from pink to golden on the 3000' granite escarpment.

The hike up from Waptus Lake to the ridgetop is exposed, and even that
time of the morning was hot. I can't imagine doing this in the afternoon
when it is hot. 2200' or so to the top, with few trees and a number of
blowdowns. I didn't see how a horse could get through there...

As I traversed Escondido Ridge I could hear a packer down near Escondido
Lake setting up camp in preparation for his paying guests that would
begin arriving when hunting season began. I met one party of hikers that
said they talked with a packer who had a mule carrying nothing but hard
liquor, and another with nothing but beer.

The hike along Escondido Ridge is stunning. I took a break in a little
meadow and munched down some trailmmix, thinking if I ever wanted to
come somewhere close but pristinely beautiful, this was it, with its
three foot wide stream meandering through it, backdropped with a 300'
cliff.

But the most spectacular part of the trip was yet to come. I contined to
traverse along the ridge and topped out in the middle of an old fire.
There across the way was a picket fence of stark and beautiful peaks
that made my eyes water and my heart ache. It was so beautiful I stopped
and just stood there for ten minutes or so. I've hiked throughout the
Cascades, Sierra from lassen to Whitney, and am now exploring Wyoming
and Colorado's mountains. But the view from the top of Escondido Ridge
across the Lemah Creek Valley to the peaks rising 3000-4000 across the
way is unparalleled.

The hike down jumps from bench to bench for a while, and then into
forest with the views now being tree filtered. I met a couple just
getting up after having hiked til 11 the night before in the moonlight.
They were in a weird kind of ecstacy, gentle and marvelling. I felt
touched by a different force.

Hiking down the ridge I met some climbers coming back from a climb of
one of the peaks. "Guys" are a funny kind of people. That's all I can
say about that.

I also met a couple who are hiking the Washington PCT, but in ten day,
50 mile chunks. They hike five miles a day. Both were very overweight
and very jolly, and very sweaty! I met very few people on this trip, but
these three parties, all in a row, within an hour of each other, were
such great constrasts. Such different views of life, the wilderness and
the world...

I hit the valley bottom and was surrounded with trees. There were lots
of campsites in here, but I wasn't ready. I wanted big views this, my
last night. the map promised them up around Park lakes.

So, I hiked at the base of Lemah Mountain, heading for the Three Queens.
Views were pretty restricted. I ate lunch at the Lemah Creek Crossing,
where there was an dirt campsite, nothing special.

I hadn't taken a stove on this, or the last trip. I had planned
fat/carbs/protein and calories pretty well. I ate constantly - about
5000 calories a day. I lost seven pounds over the four days, and gained
three of it back the following week. That's not very good for the system
I've been told.

Dinner was a bag of eastern hand food from one of the bins at the
Ballard Market in Seattle. I highly recommend stoveless hiking, for five
days or less at least. I found I didn't miss coffee after the first day,
and hot food not at all. On the trip from White to Snoqualmie Pass it
rained for a couple of the days, but even then, eating constantly made
up for the lack of hot food. I never felt in danger. And this trip, with
clear skies and warm temperatures, was heaven.

I started climbing up toward the Pass between Chikamin Peak and the
Three queens, and was very weary. it was a nearly 3000' climb, and at
the end of the day. I'd already climbed nearly 3000', and I could feel
my thighs beginning to quiver.

But miraculously, and not for the first time in my life, getting higher
got me higher. The pain lessened, and I found myself getting a fourth or
fifth wind. I reached the trail to Spectacle Lake, but eschewed it for
the top of the ridge. The higher I climbed the more spectacular the view
became, and the harder it was to just keep hiking. It's switchback after
switchback, but the whole lemah creek valley is unfolding, and all the
peaks around get more and more visible.

Finally, in a really herculean effort, I gained the top of the ridge and
looked over toward Park lakes, and decided i wanted to watch the sun go
down from the top.

I walked a hundred yards south of the trail along the ridge top and
found a fairly level spot where I threw my bag down in the grass and got
into it. I was a hurtin puppy, but marvelling at what lay below me. I
could see Spectacle lake of course, and Glacier Lake in its cirque, and
all the mountains marching north. I thought that this was a day of days
for views - opposite ends of the same valley, blown away all day long.

I had a tee shirt for years I wore hiking that said, "The best part
about getting high is the view." it was a Grateful Dead tee shirt, and I
chuckled to myself as I thought of it. No drugs or alcohol, coffee or
any other stimulant other than the wonder at being so high and so
privilged to be where I was.

A young couple was camped at a spot across the saddle from me, the
"official wonderful campspot" and I watched them hang out on an outcrop
overlooking the whole wonderous world. They added a different kind of
texture to the view.

I woke up the next morning and headed west past the Park Lakes, glad I
hadn't stayed there in the basin, with no views. The hike up to Chikamin
Pass was pretty, and then to cross over into the Gold Creek Basin,
another breathtaking experience that went on and on and on. At what I
guess is a place called Huckleberry Saddle you can stare through a gap
in the ridge to the north into a basin with Burntboot Creek at its
bottom, and it looked wild. No trail down there, but a sense that it
would be a spectacular place to hike

There were people camped down at Joe lake, and again at Alaska Lake. It
looked like a good place to go snowshoeing to for a winter wonderland
experience. I ate lunch at Ridge Lake and watched the dayhikers stream
by, dogs on leashes, clothes fresh and startlingly white.

On the Snoqualmie Pass side of Kendall Ridge I met a Japanese woman who
I hung out with for a while because she was terrified that a bear was
going to come out of the trees and get her. her husband and his friends
had gone ahead to the top of the ridge, and she was almost paralyzed
with fear. I hung with her for 30 minutes until another woman came and
they hugged and the first woman thanked me, tearfully. Back in the world...

I had a bus to catch at Snoqualmie Summit and made it by an hour. Three
or four busses a day stop at the Summit.

I was down to the pass by about three, and feeling pretty good. I really
liked this ultra-light backpacking style. I really liked trail centered,
versus camp centered hiking. All I did in camp was sleep. I usually took
a couple three hours in the middle of the day to recuperate, wash, and
watch the wilderness. Hiking til seven or seven-thirty - it got dark at
eight on labor day, and light at six-thirty - made for a full day. I
think i see more hiking that way. I'm light on my feet, take lots of
breaks, and stop and marvel constantly. I don't feel like a beast of
burden.

This is a tough trip made tougher by doing it in four days. I climbed
6000' or so on the third day. That's a lot, even with a 20 pound pack
and running shoes. But the view from the top of Escondido Ridge looking
west was beyond spectacular.