[pct-l] Gear Perspective

I agree with practically everything you said.  Very good.  Gear  is just one
part of the equation, but I think personal grit, judgment, and  perspective
are important too.

How many times have you heard of someone who has no or just some  backpacking
experience and then decided a few days before starting to thru  hike the PCT.
 And finishes.  They use Walmart gear too.  I think  there are stories like
that every year with thru hikers and especially  section hikers.

Another example of perspective are the people who thru hike the PCT and  then
say that the desert and hill country were some of their most favorite  parts
of the trail.  The parts a lot people would do without.  But  they really
enjoyed those areas.  Usually they are from places that do not  have those types
of terrain.

It is your perspective and attitude.  It is your toughness and  grit.  Your
determination measured with a sense of safety.  Maybe a  little luck too. You
see beauty, excitement, and adventure all along the  trail.  The trail is not
an adversary, but a new/old friend  and companion. Your highway into Mother
Nature.  It is your Rhythm of  the Trail.

Sure a lot of us like to be gearheads, gear gizmos, and  SuperSecret
collectors.  But we do not have a distorted perspective of  what is going on with
hiking.  We are just having fun with one  aspect of hiking.  For example, my
latest harassment about the sub  ultra light gear set up is just another fun thing
to do to get people all  roulade up and excited.  It's too much fun -- I don't
deserve it, but  I will take it.

Cheers, Switchback
Camp Hobo & Saloon Philosopher