[pct-l] Public Notice - Sub Ultra Light Revisted

Hi Switchback,

I have enjoyed your technique oriented "secrets"... though I am not sure how
many of them are actually "secrets". I let the first "revolutionary gear"
note pass... but I just can't resist now that you have sent a followup :-).

I believe gear is largely a counter indication of success completely a long
trail, not a causal. That is to say that having the right gear doesn't make
it likely that you will complete the trail, but the wrong gear will increase
the likelihood that you will bail. In general lighter is better... but I
would bet it is maybe 20% of the equation. Physical prep is maybe another
20%, and mental toughness is >=60%. No matter how light the gear, a person
still needs to push themselves to complete a long trail. Lots of people
aren't motivated or have the mental discipline to do this.

Furthermore, my experience is that once the full carry weight is under
~20lbs for me... (or say less than 15% of lean body mass for anyone)
additional weight savings doesn't *significantly* change endurance. Lighter
may let you feel freer, can get you bragging rights :-), but will provide at
best a minor impact to how far/long you can go in a day) This is not only my
personal experience, and is also borne out in some biomechanical studies
performed by ??? (can't find the original study).

--Mark