[pct-l] Reporting Lost Hiker?

Hi All   Just thought I would chime in here, with some thing that happened
to me and one of my grandsons. We went on a short day hike out of "Dripping
Springs" camp ground, this is off of Hwy 79 just out of Temecula, Ca. about
an hour north of Warner Springs. We had a day pack between the two of us,
had water, a couple of 20 oz bottles each, and some snacks. We were going to
be gone about three or four hours. We started at 9am. We took the left
branch of the trail out of the camp ground and had hiked about 10 miles when
I realized that it was starting to get dark. It was suppose to be a 6 mile
loop. I had my cell phone so I called my wife to tell her we would spend the
night on top of the mountain. This was January 3rd 2001 and by 8 o'clock it
started to get a really cold. We only had wind breakers and T shirts and we
were starting to shiver. We had hiked into an area that had burned a few
months before and could only see gray on the ground and a black night with
black logs sticking up every where. We could not find a trail anywhere. I
called my wife back and told her that it was getting to cold for us to stay
up there all night. I said to see if she could get some one to get us off.
She called the Temecula sheriff station, which is Riverside co. She gave the
watch commander my cell number. Next thing I know, He says he is going to
hike up, the way we came up, to get us. I said that we were only three miles
up from the camp on the right trail but to come up the left trail would be
about ten miles. He says He will get Help! I thought they would call in a
chopper and get us off. No not that easy. He tells us to hang in there and
they will get us down, like we are stuck or something. I found some matches
in the pack that my wife had put in and we started a small fire to try to
keep warm. By day break we found the trail  that had been so over grown just
where the fire had stopped. There were little yellow tags in the trees. We
started down and we hear a chopper coming up from the camp below. I waved
and he waved back and left. We got about half way down and we meet SAR
coming up the trail. They radio that they have found us. Like we were really
lost? When we got to the bottom, they had an entire base camp set up. There
must have been thirty or so Orange guys and a couple of Sheriff's units, a
news paper guy and food like you couldn't believe. They were trying to give
us every thing. They even  had a Doctor check us out. It took a couple of
hours before we could go home. The SAR team came from Desert Hot Springs
because the local team was busy else where. We were on the front page of the
Press Enterprise the next morning. I could never live this down at work.
They got together and bought me a survival kit, including a Boy Scout
Manual. If I would have known what was going to happen I would have never
called my wife the second time. They were out in force for nothing. Thank
God they didn't charge us. Why did they respond so quickly and in such
force?                Remember
"Be Prepared"   Ground Pounder Bill      "Semper Fi"