[pct-l] Neat Ideas and Such

Hiker 97 said >>>> "Yes, I am carrying 100 pounds to  go  camping this
weekend.  You know the usual ax, iron skillet, and  base camp  expedition tent."  I
would complain loudly about the pack  weight  and spit a lot of simulated
tobacco juice too.>>>

Little Joe LeConte carried just such pack weights in the early days of
Sierra Nevada mountaineering.  Only he also carried full sized library  books in
Greek and Latin, but was never heard to complain...tho I don't know  about the
tobacco juice. He usually carried about 60-70% of his body weight, if  I
remember the story right.

"No Way Ray"  Echols