[pct-l] Dehydrating Food

Tortoise wrote: <<I've fried and then dried ground beef as well as made my
own beef
jerky. I keep my stock frozen in  the freezer (sometimes a couple of
years) until I actually pack for the trip. I'm not an authority but
keeping it frozen seems to greatly extend the life.>>

I agree.  Fry the gb (or ground turkey) VERY SLOWLY until you've rendered
out as much fat as possible.  It's the fat that will make the product
rancid.  Then spread it on parchment paper and place it in your dehydrator
until it's gravel-dry.  Make sure that, if you live in earthquake country,
you don't put the finished product in an open bowl under your glassware
cabinet.  That's how my bowl of 5 pounds of gb ended up in the trash after
the Northridge earthquake ;-(

Christine "Ceanothus" Kudija
PCT partially '94

www.pcta.org
Join Now!

Never measure the height of a mountain until you have reached its top.  Then
you will know how low it was.
                                                                     Dag
Hammarskjold