[pct-l] Water Tricks

Speaking of water, I ran out of water about 3 miles from the end of the  hike
several weeks ago up near Lake Tahoe-Lower Echo Lake parking lot.   When
Can'tQuit caught up with me (how I got ahead of her is still a mystery) I  just
used some of her water to walk the final mile.  I could have  stopped at a cabin
on the way in to ask for some water, but figured I would  mountainman it out
-- male ego thing.  Can'tQuit did not even charge me for  her water too, which
was nice.  It is always a woman to the rescue.

Being a diabetic, water is a little more important to me and I probably
drink more than most folks on the trail.  One thing I did those last  few miles
was take my remaining water and put a little in my mouth and just hold  it there
as long as possible.  This kept my mouth wet and not dry.   Felt very good.
And it made my water last longer too.

Does anyone have any techniques they use when low on water to make things a
little more comfortable?  I have heard of Indians putting a pebble in their
mouth.

Thanks.  Your hiking buddy, Switchback
Trail Gunga Din & Camp Water Souse

Tag Line Note: In Kipling's novel of the same name, Gunga Din was a water
carrier.  Okay, so you already knew that.  Sorry.