[pct-l] Super Secrets - Water Carrier

WATER CARRIER: My latest scheme to carry water (or extra water) without
using your back or spine involves the REI Double Shot Waist Pack  (#707835---8.5
ounces each).  It will carry 2 liters using the Glaceau  SmartWater (1.5 ounces
empty) 33.8 ounces tall narrow container.   Basically, if you carry two waist
packs and containers, you have over  one gallon of water (a small storage
pocket is between each bottle holder)  safely on your waist.  The question is
whether you want to carry an extra  pound with 2 waist packs to carry over one
gallon of water (8 pounds).  I  like to keep as much water weight off my back as
possible.  Get the  SmartWater containers at Wild Oats or Whole Foods.
Trader's Joe might  carry it too.

Of course, you could just use one pouch and carry half a gallon of water on
your hip/waist.  Also, you could carry smaller containers and not have as
much weight to carry.  I find I like lots of water around, but you do  not want
to carry extra water not needed -- water is HEAVY, but you are 80%  water -- I
am a big water bag wandering down the trail.  Ideally, you want  to pull into
the next water spot with less than a liter on you.  You carry  just enough to
safely to get you to the next reliable water source.  Of  course, we all know
about those famous reliable next water sources.

Your hiking buddy, Switchback
Bear Canister Safe Cracker & Thirsty Food  Pirate