[pct-l] Yellow Blazing

The yellow blazes are the yellow stripes on a road or highway.  Yellow blazing refers to hitching a ride instead of walking a stretch of designated trail.  When the road *is* the designated trail and when you walk that road/trail, you are not yellow blazing.

The whole "blazing" idea comes from the AT, and in my opinion it doesn't belong on the PCT.  In fact, the whole purism thing makes me nuts.  Do whatever you want to do.  But if you take a ride, own up to it.  The only thing that irks me is when someone does skip sections and then claims to have thru-hiked.  The trail is never straight and rarely easy.  For me personally, it's important that I have a continuous hike.  Everyone has their own opinion on this issue, and that's mine.

yogi
www.pcthandbook.com

StoneDancer1@aol.com wrote:
OK, so I've got a question for you'all. If Yellow Blazing means taking a
road ( does it have to be paved?) instead of taking the trail. What happens
when the road IS the trail...? Like, say, going down into Seiad Valley on the
PCT. Is everyone a Yellowblazer? What if you hitch a ride instead of walk
the highway? What kind of blazing is that? I know this sounds trivial, but,
for some literary endeavors of mine, I AM interested in your responses.

"No Way Ray" Echols