[pct-l] Glissade death on Whitney

Too too sad for words. Never met Mr. Tom. However having lived for
almost 30 years in Oakland, etc., the incident does strike close to home.

I've glissaded a few times, usually on much shorter and less steep
slopes. On one backpacking trip I led we glissaded down a snow field for
several hundred feet. Had one woman on the trip catch her pack and
wrench her shoulder; fortunately not a serious injury.

But the deaths do shake my belief that backpacking is so safe. But
everything we do has risks including sitting at home typing on my computer.

--
Tortoise