[pct-l] Super Secrets - Hiking Poles

I use Leki titanium poles with the angled (about 15 ?degrees) grips. The
angled grips allow a more natural ergonomic wrist easing the strain on
the wrists. I also use the wrist straps as described; on my poles the
straps are adjusted by a Velcro closure. And the straps have a
safety/quick release mechanism. Thus I just press the release to
disconnect the strap from the poles so my hands are free; then simply
snap the straps back in. Safety feature is for that clumsy fall (in
spite of the poles) which could otherwise wrench or strain your arm/hand.

Hiking along on fairly flat terrain, I do a swing forward, lightly set,
and then walk four(?) paces with each pole swung forward alternately so
each swing/plant is offset two steps from the other. This method
provides good stability for balancing while minimizing load on my arms.
I let my legs carry me as they are evolved to do. Then on steeper
uphills I switch to opposite pole plant with step to have my arms help
move me up the grade while still having good balance.

So try out various ways of using your poles to determine what works for you.