[pct-l] Super Secrets - Hiking Poles

HIKING POLES: I like to use two of them for better balance protection (I am
old and need help) and they are supposed to take some load off your back while
 you hike.  I do not know about this last one, but I like them.  I use  the
REI #720046 poles.

Be sure not to extend the lower pole section all the way to the last  marker.
 It can snap/bend out of the tube if you stumble on the trail and  put a lot
of pressure on the pole. Just leave several inches of the bottom pole  section
in the tube and then duct tape it in place.  Adjust the upper  section of the
poles so your arms are 90 degrees to the pole on level  ground.  I never
bother to readjust for going up or down hills.

Also, almost everyone you meet on the trail will be USING THEIR POLES  WRONG.
 Slide your hand up the pole shaft and through the pole strap.   Then grab
the pole grip and adjust the strap so it is snug.  The wide part  of the pole
strap should be across the part of your hand below the little  finger.  It is
the proper strap use that is the key to using the pole for  extra support.

Your hiking buddy, Switchback
Trail Pirate, Bear Baiter, and Camp Ruffian