From: Maggie <hdfullofrox@yahoo.com>
Sent: Aug 30, 2005 3:40 PM
To: pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net
Subject: [pct-l] Desperately need help for "Delicate Princess Foot Syndrome"

Hi. My name is Maggie and I've been quietly lurking
here for almost 3 years now.

My dream/goal/intention is to undertake my thruhike in
2010, so I'm not quite at the point where PCT planning
is at a forefront for me.

I have been backpacking for 6 years now. The longest I
have been on the trail is all of 4 days. I have yet to
make it thru a trip without mangling my feet.

I just returned early from an attempt at JMT section
hike from Tuolumne Meadows to VVR. We were forced to
hike out at Agnew Meadows due to what I sarcastically
refer to as my "delicate princess feet."

I have tried numerous pairs and brands of boots, both
high and low cut; trail runners; sport sandals; socks
and various combinations of socks; lubricating my feet
to reduce friction; powder or antiperspirant to reduce
moisture; moleskin; molefoam; duct tape; crazy glue...
if it's been suggested, I've tried it.

Occassionally I come across a pair of shoes with a
sock combination that fools me into thinking I've
solved the problem. I'll return from a few days hikes,
or even a short overnighter with "only one" blister
only to have the same combination reduce my feet to
hamburger on the next outing. I can't seem to find the
right setup for all occassions.

I had my feet measured once using the Phil Oren
system. I know that my feet are narrow even by women's
standards. My heels are ESPECIALLY narrow-- I could
cut ham with them. I have high arches and high insteps
with a small boney protusion on top of my insteps that
makes tightly lacing my boots (to properly lock in the
heel) cut off the circulation in my feet. My feet are
overall medium volume, but because of the high
arch/instep it's difficult to find mid-volume shoes
that will lace over my insteps. -- unfortunately the
outfitter who measured my feet didn't have shoes that
fit those requirements and has since gone out of
business. There are currently no outfitters in my area
that I'm aware of that I would trust on this matter
now.

Insoles have helped, but they don't help with the
heels. Commercially available heel cups have proved to
be a joke. Dr. Scholl's has heel pads that help
significantly, but the adhesive isn't strong enough to
keep them stuck in place after long term hiking.

In addition to problems with blisters, long hours of
hiking result in feeling like I have crushed all the
bones in my feet to powder. I have ALWAYS complained
that it feels like I don't have enough cushioning on
the bottom of my feet-- even just walking around the
mall.

I am still supposed to be on the trail right now. I am
absolutely heartbroken at yet another failed hike. I'm
a step away from forking over the money for custom
made boots-- although I'm not entirely sure where to
have THAT done either.

I would appreciate any help, suggestions and
encouragement to get me back on the trail with happy
feet.

I've tried lightweight and traditional gear and
footwear-- at this point I don't CARE about the "pound
on the foot eqauls 6 on the back" equation. I don't
care if the perfect shoes weigh 6 lbs or 6 oz, as long
as I can make it through a hike without hobbling.