[pct-l] RE: Digital Camera

Just a follow up on my camera post.  Most of the people on this list will
want to use a digital camera outside and the lcd screens on digital cameras
can be almost impossible to see in direct sunlight.  Some of the digital
camera available now have only lcd screens and no optical viewfinder.  Make
sure your camera either has an optical viewfinder OR that your particular
lcd screen is usable in direct sunlight where most of us hikers will be
using it.  Some lcd screens are more resistant to glare than others.

Also, it has been my experience that use of the lcd screen (and flash)
dramatically reduces battery life, which could be a big issue for hikers.

Personally, I think a camera with an lcd screen AND an optical viewfinder is
better for hiking.

John Coyle