[BULK] - [pct-l] Scary trail sounds

Aircraft Encounter I
I was just past 3rd Gate when I heard a jet off in the distance.
Definitely military. The sound grew until I knew it would fly low and
close. Very close...
>From just over the ridge (I was about 100 feet below on the highway
side), an A-6E roared over so low that I could see the side-by-side
pilot/nav helmets and sun visors. The noise was deafening, even with my
hands clapped over my ears.
Considering Julian was about a 3 second flight from that point (the jet
was moving from the east/northeast toward the south/southwest), the
pilot must've been breaking some sort of flight path rule, being so
close and low to a residential area. Ground Pounder Bill and his
Grandson were on the trail just ahead of me.

Aircraft Encounter II
I was just scrambling back from bagging Jeans Peak (just south of San
Jacinto Peak), when a glider sailed over and caught a thermal just above
me. Another very close encounter. I waved at the two guys inside the
sailplane and they waved back and "wagged" the wings at me. It was so
close you could very easily hear the wind whooshing across the wings and
through the vents in it's canopy! It circled and swooped over me for
about ten minutes then dove back toward Palm Springs.

I can't decide which was cooler, the military jet in all it's power, or
the graceful and peaceful maneuvers of the sailplane.

Michael Saenz, Associate Partner
McLarand    Vasquez    Emsiek   &   Partners,   Inc.
A r c h i t e c t u r e  |  P l a n n i n g  |  I n t e r i o r s
MVE       MVE    Institutional       MVP    International
w  w  w   .   m  v  e   -   a  r  c  h  i  t  e  c  t  s   .   c  o m