From: pct-l-bounces@mailman.backcountry.net
[mailto:pct-l-bounces@mailman.backcountry.net] On Behalf Of
cmkudija@earthlink.net
Sent: Thursday, August 18, 2005 9:55 PM
To: Jim Keener; Jeff Moorehead; pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net
Subject: [BULK] - RE: [pct-l] Bear Cannisters

Okay, now that someone brought up the Bearikade - I'm a strong supporter
of a canister that is light, works, and is easy to open.  The twist-off
Bearvault lid gives me some pause, as my own paws (ahem, couldn't resist
it)
are on the smallish side.    The most amusing disclaimer Wild-Ideas has
on
its site is on the order of "DO NOT ATTEMPT TO COOK IN THE
BEARIKADE"....and gives maximum temperature tolerances for the
carbon-fiber material.

I'm renting a Bearikade Weekender for a couple of weeks in September -
total cost about $65.00, including shipping to me and California sales
tax.  (I'm not going to discuss why one pays sales tax on rental
items...)

Anyhow, we own the Expedition model, which has served us VERY well for
longer trips.  I don't want to buy a smaller Bearikade just now, and
feel that the compromise rental price is worth it for me, since my
husband & I won't be needing a smaller canister for the rest of the
year....just BEFORE we were to start a hike in the Wind Rivers, he
discovered - when we were almost at the trailhead, of course - that he
had a hernia :( and we were
forced to cancel our trip.   He had just completed a great 11-day trek
through the Philmont Scout Ranch in New Mexico, so he'd had a good chunk
of
vacation.   I'd just driven from north Lost Angeles County to New Mexico
-
but at least had time to hike up Wheeler Peak (NM highpoint, a bit over
13,000', and an easy trail walk if the altitude isn't a problem).

Consequently, I'm going to go hike from Cottonwood Pass to Tuolumne on
the PCT after he's recovered some from surgery on Tuesday.  Hopefully
I'll meet some sobos.

Christine "Ceanothus" Kudija
PCT partially '94

www.pcta.org
Join Now!

Never measure the height of a mountain until you have reached its top.
Then you will know how low it was.
                                                                     Dag
Hammarskjold