[pct-l] Where the Boy Scouts were killed?

    Several have asked me about the incident where some
scouts were killed near Mt. Whitney. Here is what I found
posted in several places:

"The San Francisco Chronicle reports a Scout leader was
killed in a lightning strike at 10,500 feet on Mount
Whitney.

Killed instantly was Steve McCullagh, 29, who was taking
shelter. Four others were injured.

The five men and seven boys of Troop 7001 from St. Helena
were heading to Mount Whitney under fair skies when dark
clouds gathered suddenly and hail began to fall. They
quickly set up the tarps and a tent at Sandy Meadow, which
is about 4 four miles east of Mount Whitney at an elevation
of 10,700 feet. "

     Actually Sandy Meadow is located on the JMT about a
mile north of the junction of the JMT and the PCT near
Crabtree Meadows. Apparently a reporter reversed east and
west, as this is about 4 miles west of Mt. Whitney. I
haven?t heard anyone give an exact location for the spot
where the scouts set up their tarps. Does anyone know if it
was actually down in Sandy Meadow or closer to the ridge
between Sandy Meadow and Wallace Creek?

          Rob

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs