Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 17:43:07 EDT
From: Lonetrail@aol.com
Subject: Re: [pct-l] Re: Sierra City to Belden/Belden to Old Station
To: rbalcorn@gmail.com, pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net

Hi

We parked at a small motel in town on the left side of street going into
town. They charge about 20 for about 12 days. We hitched a ride with out
trouble. Good little restaurant in town as far as little towns go.

Lonetrail

We  didn't park at Sierra City or Beldon, so just my observations:
Sierra City  - I would not park at the trailhead. There is just room enough
to pull  onto the shoulder. We walked around this very small town, and it
looked  like there is parking on side streets. You could ask at the store.
It
is a  mile and a half up 49 to the trail, and we couldn't get a hitch,
though

someone picked us up coming down. If you are leaving the day you arrive
there, drop your stuff at the trail and have one person park the car in
town
and walk back just carrying water. We started walking from town at  6:30am
and were on top by 11:30 or so. It's a gradual climb, the 1st part  is
shaded.

At Beldon there is a trailhead parking lot on beyond the  Beldon Town Resort
towards the trail maybe 1/4+ miles. Don't know how  secure it is. This is an
old funky resort, way past its prime. They have a  "biker days" event
towards
the end of July, and that matches my image of  the resort perfectly. Fun
though, and we really enjoyed our couple of  hours there in the bar getting
food, beer, and chatting with the  thru-hikers there.
--
Ralph  Alcorn
http://www.backpack45.com/camino2.html