[pct-l] TSA May Loosen Ban on Razorblades, Knives

 There ya go again....tryin' to apply logic to the government....   ;o)

Jerry

-----Original Message-----
From: pct-l-bounces@mailman.backcountry.net
[mailto:pct-l-bounces@mailman.backcountry.net] On Behalf Of yogi
Sent: Monday, August 15, 2005 4:19 PM
To: pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net; cdt-l@backcountry.net
Subject: [pct-l] TSA May Loosen Ban on Razorblades, Knives

ugh.  I'm perfectly fine with the ban on knives.
It makes complete sense to me.

What I don't agree with (as things are now) is that they always search
one-way passengers.  Sure, some roundtrip passengers probably get searched,
but one-way passengers are singled out for searches.  After my fourth trip
in a row of being searched, I finally asked the security person WHY I'm
always picked.  Afterall, I do not fit any stereotype for a criminal or
terrorist --- I'm a non-scary-looking white girl from Kansas!!  The security
person told me I was chosen for the search because I have a one-way airline
ticket.  If I WAS a terrorist, I'd just purchase a roundtrip ticket and
avoid the SURE search.

just my two cents.

yogi
www.pcthandbook.com

Paul Magnanti <pmags@yahoo.com> wrote:As well as ice picks (read ice axes,
too)

*********
TSA May Loosen Ban on Razorblades, Knives

By HOPE YEN, Associated Press Writer

Sunday, August 14, 2005

* Printable Version
* Email This Article

(08-14) 13:51 PDT WASHINGTON (AP) --

The federal agency in charge of aviation security is considering major
changes in how it screens airline passengers, including proposals that an
official said would lift the ban on carrying razorblades and small knives as
well as limit patdown searches.

The Transportation Security Administration will meet later this month to
discuss the plan, which is designed to reduce checkpoint hassles for the
nation's
2 million passengers. It comes after TSA's new head, Edmund S. "Kip" Hawley,
called for a broad review in hopes of making airline screening more
passenger-friendly.

An initial set of staff recommendations drafted Aug. 5 also proposes that
passengers no longer have to routinely remove their shoes during security
checks.
Instead, only passengers who set off metal detectors, are flagged by a
computer screening system or look "reasonably suspicious" would be asked to
do so, a TSA official said Saturday.

Any of the changes proposed by the staff, which also would allow scissors,
ice picks and bows and arrows on flights, would require Hawley's approval,
this official said, requesting anonymity because there has been no final
decision.

"The process is designed to stimulate creative thinking and challenge
conventional beliefs," said Mark Hatfield, TSA's spokesman. "In the end, it
will allow us to work smarter and better as we secure America's
transportation system."

The Aug. 5 memo recommends reducing patdowns by giving screeners the
discretion not to search those wearing tight-fitting clothes. It also
suggests exempting several categories of passengers from screening,
including federal judges, members of Congress, Cabinet members, state
governors, high-ranking military officers and those with high-level security
clearances.

The proposed changes were first reported by The Washington Post on Saturday.

___

On the Net:

Transportation Security Administration:

Homeland Security Department: