[pct-l] CDT Town Guide

Greetings!

As some of you have heard, and as others have assumed, I'm currently working on a CDT Town Guide.  Yesterday, I returned home from a 2.5-week trip to visit approximately 80 CDT Towns/Resorts to collect current information and to create maps showing locations of stores, PO's, libraries, motels, etc.

The road trip was fun!  I enjoyed re-visiting the towns, meeting a few 2005 CDT thru-hikers, and visiting with:

d-low-hiking (AT'00, PCT'02, CDT'05)
Suge-hiking (PCT'03)
Goof-working (AT'00, PCT'02, CDT'04)

I gotta tell ya, though, hiking the Divide is MUCH more fun than driving the Divide!  I'm either glad to be home or simply sick of my car.

*** ARE YOU INTERESTED IN HELPING??? ***

If you've seen my PCT book, this CDT will be different.  The CDT book will NOT give hints on how to choose shoes, how to do a journal, how to hike in the desert/snow, etc.  Instead, this CDT book will assume that the reader has thru-hiked another one of the long trails (that will be clearly explained at the beginning of the book).  My idea for the CDT book is to have a chapter on planning followed by town/resort specific information.  I've accumulated a bunch of data-geek, anal, town-specific information.  Now what I need help with are other hiker OPINIONS.

Two of the most frequent critiques I receive regarding my PCT book are:

(1)  Readers like that different hiker opinions/recommendations are presented.  I intentionally tried to NOT create a "yogi says" PCT book.  We all know that no one person has the perfect answer to ANY hiking question.

(2)  Readers love the opinionated comments regarding town food and alternate routes.  For example:

Glory:  "The Jose Burger at the Paradise Cafe is a MIRACLE.  It's enough to inspire a following of cultish fanatacism to be rivaled only by politics, football, religion and, well, thru-hiking."

Suge:  "The Jose Burger at Paradise Cafe on the Pines-to-Palms Highway is the best burger on the trail.  Swiss cheese, bacon, avocado, mushrooms, green chiles, tomato, onion, lettuce, pickles.  I've got a fuzzy, out-of-focus picture of one.  Glory and I were in shock and awe when they came out.  Quite literally, I had to eat the burger in sections:  work on the top part, then the middle, then attack a corner of the bottom, etc."

 . . . . . SOOOOOOO . . . . . .  would you like to contribute?  If you've thru-hiked the CDT or hiked sections of the CDT, I'd love to include your knowledge in the book.  Do you have opinions on:

Planning - what worked or did not work for you?

Trail vs trail - what is similar/different from the AT-PCT-CDT?

Resources - what books, websites, presentations  helped you plan for the CDT?

Food - In your best "I'm a starving thru-hiker on the Divide" point of mind, what are your best food memories?

Will this book be the perfect planning guide?  Absolutely not.
Will it help future hikers plan for a CDT hike?  Hopefully.

If you're interested in contributing, please email me OFF-LIST.  I don't want to clog up the list with personal emails.

Thanks for your time!

yogi