[pct-l] Update on Super Secrets #41 and #44

Jocelyn wrote:  I have been using a device by Nike called teh Triax Elite which is a combination
heart rate monitor, watch, and digital pedometer that tells you your rate of
speed and total mileage covered.  I found it to be accurate within a tenth of a
mile and it is streamline.  The whole device costs $300 which is steep however,
i am also about to use this device for marathon training when I am not on the
trail.
That is very cool.  I have heard that pedometers might not be accurate in the mountains with all the ups and downs.  So, I will watch mine carefully.  I do not want to put all my eggs in one basket.  I will check things with the guide book too to make sure everything makes sense.  But the pedometer could be a very valuable device out on the trail if it calibrated for your stride properly.

I have a big Section D expedition coming up in a few weeks.  I am going from Wrightwood to the El Cajon Pass.  I think it is 21 PCT miles.  That is a big hike for me, the Worlds Slowest PCT Section Hiker, Est. 1970.  I will probably have to campout over night too.

Thanks again for the info, Switchback