[pct-l] need some help

It totally depends on how much you weigh and other factors.  if you are
300 lbs, then the running shoes will probably not be sufficient without
the pack, unless your feet are built like a brick-sh*t house.  If you
are 120 lbs and your feet are pretty tough, then the shoes might be
ok.  If you are 120 lbs and your feet are tender-feet, and you tend to
turn your ankle all the time, and your legs get fatigued easily, then
you probably won't like hiking in running shoes.  If your feet are fine
and everything else is ok, but you have to kick steps in firmly
packed/frozen snow, the running shoes will be worthless.

It also depends on the shoe.  NO street running shoe will be as sturdy
as a good trail runner.  in 1998 and 2002 I wore asics gt-2010 running
shoes on the JMT and felt every single jagged rock stab through the
faom and poke into my foot.  Fortunatley, my feet are tough as nails,
so it didn't matter that much to me.  in 2004, I did the JMT again with
Vasque Velocity's and enevr felt any rocks poke through.  the vasque's
are much more comfortable.