[pct-l] the status of the goat and his people ...

Greetings from a longtime list-lurker and section hiker.

Scott Herriott <yetifan@yahoo.com> wrote: Anyone know where the guy with
the goat is on trail?

I encountered the goat's couple (and the goat) three days ago a few miles
north of Cottonwood Pass. They'd made it a bit past Crabtree Meadow before
being stopped by Sequoia National Park rangers and turned back. They were
escorted out of the park. At the time I saw them, they were southbound,
headed back out at Cottonwood Pass, quite dejected.

We spoke briefly about the goat being defined as pack stock rather than as
a pet. The NPS rangers, to nobody's great surprise, were having none of
this. They realized they had NPS territory to pass through all the way
through Yosemite and were pondering their next move.

They were very concerned about getting a hitch down into Lone Pine. (Would
Joe Weekender  pick up two stinky through hikers *and* their goat for a
22-mile ride?) They were unsure where to go from there but had been able to
contact a support person who might meet them in Lone Pine.

Best wishes,

David Plotnikoff

(Who, by the way, is off the trail as of yesterday, having completed his
Campo-to-Whitney business for this year.  Next year, it's Willamette Pass
to Manning and ... out!)

PS: In other news, on the way home, I encountered Bethany Axtman at the gas
station in Lee Vining and drove her to Bridgeport to resupply and pick up a
new pack and shoes. Her Montrails were trashed after just 150 Sierra miles
and her Golite was coming apart at multiple stress points. I also
encountered SuperDave and his two friends (sorry I didn't get the names) at
Sonora Pass. They report very scary stream crossings. Other than that, they
were all in fine shape and not planning to take a break until Echo Lake.