[pct-l] Baden Powell Snow

Mr. Meadow Ed, who cooked us a fabulous meal last Sunday, writes:

<< Last week Weathercarrot and Dave F. were up to Baden Powell and hiked
down
to Little Jimmy...I saw their phots and there is still deep snow in places.
The trail is patchy snow in places and i saw some 10 foot drifts in some
shady areas.  That snow will linger for weeks yet but will not pose a
problem for anyone hiking the trail...>>

On Friday, July 1st, Dave Fleischman and I hiked in from Islip Saddle to the
top of Baden Powell and back again. We wanted to find out what the
conditions were like and how much snow was still up there. Our first patch,
at roughly 7,100 feet, was only about .7 up the hill from the trail head,
and many more patches in minor avalanche zones well before (and below)
Little Jimmy. At the campground itself, having heard about all the stories
of the privy there being completely buried in May, we did indeed find two
small patches right beside it, as well as huge amounts of trash strewn about
all over the place, no doubt because of bears. Continuing south and up, it
took a little while to reach out next snow, but in the last 2-3 miles before
the summit, there was significant snow on the north side of the crest, with
the higher north-exposure forest at about 80 percent snowcover. Of course,
"significant" is a relative term, and I'm referring here to July 1st
standards. The deeper snow was consistently in the range of 2-5 feet, with
some spots along the crest up to ten feet, where the cornices would have
been 1-2 months ago. About half the trail was still buried in the last few
miles along the ridge. At the summit, the monument was fully exposed, with
large patches of snow nearby. The only person we saw all day, interestingly,
was Matt Maxon, who was doing an inventory of trail conditions. He had come
up from Vincent Gap, and reported almost solid snow for the last mile or so
in the north slope wooded switchbacks.

As a comparison to last season (which was somewhat below normal), there is
much more snow overall as of July 1st of this year compared to what I saw up
there in mid-May of last year, so by the time it gets to the same level,
that'll be perhaps a 2 or 2 and a half month difference in the melt. Some of
the depths in the avalanche shoots below the closed highway are reportedly
still very deep, but I wasn't able to get down there and check it out in
person. I would love to see if there's anything left by early September
where it really piled up. I wouldn't be surprised.

After the hike, as we headed west on 2, we spotted a patch of snow next to
the road at about 6,200 feet, which seemed to be at the bottom of a slide.
But it was still remarkable to see snow in southern CA on July 1st at that
low an elevation.....

One last observation - based on another hike I did near Saddle Junction
several days before, and how much snow I found in the few miles south of
there, it seems very likely that the San Jacinto range at 8 to 9 thousand
feet received less snow this year in comparison to equivalent elevations on
Baden Powell and Baldy..... but I've run out of e-mail time to describe that
further......

wc

ps - I'm presenting my PCT DVD at the Yosemite Village visitor center
theater Saturday (tomorrow) night at 9pm if anyone wants to see it on a big
screen with great sound.......